The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oil & Lubrication (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Royal Purple (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208250)

vafatboy 08-23-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bone Stockman (Post 1501526)
- Use the proper amount of the proper viscosity oil, and change it every 5,000 miles. You'll never have an issue. The brand of oil is all but immaterial.

^this

Ancient Iron 08-23-2017 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Something to consider Ed. Fall is right around the corner.

why_me 08-23-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron (Post 1501672)
Something to consider Ed. Fall is right around the corner.

Do I have to wear my Uggs while doing the oil change? With a pumpkin Spiced Latte nearby for refreshment while it drains?

:roflback:

Ancient Iron 08-23-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by why_me (Post 1501675)
Do I have to wear my Uggs while doing the oil change? With a pumpkin Spiced Latte nearby for refreshment while it drains?

:roflback:

And cinnamon potpourri in the area, yes.

why_me 08-23-2017 04:13 PM

But what happens if I can't even?

orbit 08-23-2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by why_me (Post 1501519)
Not sure if this has been discussed here, had a few minor discussions over the weekend. Has anyone used the Royal Purple 20w-50 in their bikes? Any difference or about the same? I've been running their product in my vehicles for a while now and have been happy with it, quieted valve train noise and such. Just wondering about it in a HD. Read the reviews and people reported cooler temps and and extra 10HP on the butt dyno, but was more curious about it in a real world, real trial type scenario.

Thank you kindly.

I can't answer your question, but I have one for you.......

Didya get the breather blowby problem solved???????

I ended up putting an external breather on mine.

Why?

All that head breathin' oil blowin' into the combustion chambers caused my manual compression releases a bit of woe. Didn't have drippy air cleaner, tho. Just gummy MCRs.

More better now that the head breathin' oil gets deposited in a thimble sized catch can.......

why_me 08-23-2017 06:36 PM

Nope...still have the oil dripping out of the air cleaner onto the cam chest...all over the side of the bike depending on the runs I do for the day. Talked with Warren, have a game plan. In the end...they almost all do that.

Infidel! 08-23-2017 10:02 PM

I've never used RP, but I read in a thread on the interwebs that in a hot motor it cooks into a thick sludge.

heared that 3rd hand in the land of fake speech, so take it for what it's worth.

I'm kind of sold on the Castrol v-twin stuff myself

why_me 08-23-2017 10:06 PM

20w-50 goes in like cold honey to begin with.

Fe Butte 08-23-2017 11:17 PM

Noticed something getting flung up on side of my seat at one stop on the trip home.

Looked closer at what it was, OMG! oil drooling outa my air cleaner cover.

That was at a rest stop, after fueling up I pulled off into a parking space with a handful of windshield paper towels, got out the handy dandy HD switch blade "tool kit" thingy to pull off air cleaner cover.

WTF? No 5/16" hex wrench on it! WTF? Good is it?

Dig deeper into saddlebags pulled out set of ball tip hex wrenches, wiped out housing of excess oil and has been fine since. Maybe if dump hose went a bit deeper into throttle body?

Guess I'll watch / clean it more often...

orbit 08-24-2017 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fe Butte (Post 1501768)
Noticed something getting flung up on side of my seat at one stop on the trip home.

Looked closer at what it was, OMG! oil drooling outa my air cleaner cover.

That was at a rest stop, after fueling up I pulled off into a parking space with a handful of windshield paper towels, got out the handy dandy HD switch blade "tool kit" thingy to pull off air cleaner cover.

WTF? No 5/16" hex wrench on it! WTF? Good is it?

Dig deeper into saddlebags pulled out set of ball tip hex wrenches, wiped out housing of excess oil and has been fine since. Maybe if dump hose went a bit deeper into throttle body?

Guess I'll watch / clean it more often...

Best way for MoCo to solve the excessively oiled air filter is to have the breather dump hoses inboard of the throttle body butterfly.

'Til then, tho, the right side of a lot of Harleys will continue to be a dust magnet.......

fred1369 11-28-2017 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by why_me (Post 1501713)
Nope...still have the oil dripping out of the air cleaner onto the cam chest...all over the side of the bike depending on the runs I do for the day. Talked with Warren, have a game plan. In the end...they almost all do that.

on my 2002 sportster I put a kotex maxipad on the inside bottom of the af cover. problem solved.
on my other bikes I switched to the Ness Big Sucker and it channels the blow oil into a safe place.