The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bike Detailing (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Good Golly! (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206689)

Fe Butte 08-02-2016 03:31 PM

Good Golly!

On my ride to Rushmore the last week of July.

I led my friend, who had wanted me to throw the whole trip together, on the way back from our stop over in Sturgis down Spearfish Canyon.

The problem being they were doing a paving job along the route, they must have just put down the pre paving oil before the rain started.

What a sloppy gooey mess, slowed way down so as not to slip and go down.

But now my mufflers are coated in baked on road oil.

Have rinsed off the surface road dirt and now have been laying mineral soaked rags on the mufflers.

Has softened it up some and now just went over them with a gas soaked rag.

Some has come off, 60% - 70%, but I am waiting for my next trip to town so I can pick up some more mineral spirits and lacquer thinner to apply.

Have heard of the oven cleaner method and 000 / 0000 steel wool.

Just lots of patience and elbow grease I suppose.

vafatboy 08-02-2016 03:36 PM

Try naphtha instead of spirits

vafatboy 08-02-2016 03:38 PM

Turtle wax chrome polish and steel wool instead of oven cleaner

MrSurly 08-02-2016 05:25 PM

Good Golly!

I'd stay away from steel wool (far away) because it can scratch chrome. Oven cleaner is good on chrome but be very careful of it getting on anything else, especially aluminum, as it's caustic and can destroy finishes and turn aluminum black.
Locate some of the copper Chore Boy scrubbers... Make certain they are all copper, not the plated steel crap. Take along a magnet to be sure. The copper pads and for readily-available solvents, try diesel, charcoal starter, Coleman fuel or the Super Clean ( purple stuff) brand of cleaner.. WD40 MMO or even ATF might work as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaSkip 08-02-2016 05:53 PM

Tom try kerosene it works great for tar removal.

vafatboy 08-02-2016 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSurly (Post 1485791)
I'd stay away from steel wool (far away) because it can scratch chrome. Oven cleaner is good on chrome but be very careful of it getting on anything else, especially aluminum, as it's caustic and can destroy finishes and turn aluminum black.
Locate some of the copper Chore Boy scrubbers... Make certain they are all copper, not the plated steel crap. Take along a magnet to be sure. The copper pads and for readily-available solvents, try diesel, charcoal starter, Coleman fuel or the Super Clean ( purple stuff) brand of cleaner.. WD40 MMO or even ATF might work as well.

0000 steel wool won't scratch chrome. I use it all the time.

Fe Butte 08-02-2016 06:26 PM

I have to wait for my next trip up to Carson City where I can purchase some of these potions... :doh:

MrSurly 08-02-2016 06:35 PM

If you have even a minimal grocery or a Dollar store there, chore boy and charcoal starter are handy.

Fe Butte 08-02-2016 07:12 PM

If you don't mind paying $15 for a pint of charcoal starter fluid.:whistling:

Gasoline is still $4.19 a gallon here...

I did have a can of some BMW (car) penetrating oil (I think it is somewhat like heat riser oil used by Chrysler and GM back in the day) from before it was banned in CA for having excessive VOC's, like 1980's era...
Sprayed that liberally on the pipes with drip rags on the floor.

MrSurly 08-02-2016 07:38 PM

Good Golly!

You know, if you have a buffer and some polishing compound...
I'd bet you could still borrow one from the pig mine.

Fe Butte 08-02-2016 09:17 PM

I am dead to them.

Besides they made fun of my Duluth work clothes I had to buy on my own, no uniform allowance, didn't supply me with laundry service uniforms as required by contract.

Rant, snort, gnash...

MegaGlide 08-02-2016 09:37 PM

Turtle wax bug and tar remover liquid.

Just another damn Dave
Fluent in Pidgin Cigar Spanish

Dinero 08-02-2016 09:45 PM

My ex father in law lived on a road that they regularly treated this way. He never washed his car. He wanted to sell it and offered to pay me to clean it up.

I took a can of Crisco and coated the whole car and let it sit for several hours. The Crisco softened it up and I was able to wash the majority off. One more application cleaned it up completely.

YRMV

MrSurly 08-02-2016 09:48 PM

Oh gosh

Infidel! 08-02-2016 10:06 PM

Take it to the dealer and ask them to wash it for you