The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Southwest (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The GSCT (that's Great Southwest Camping Trip for all you d00fs) (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201132)

Infidel! 07-05-2014 08:14 AM

The GSCT (that's Great Southwest Camping Trip for all you d00fs)

Began the trip yesterday. The goal was to get out of Texas, no easy feat when travelling west. I met George, Mike and Ken at a gas station outside Willow Park. Mike said his clutch was slipping, so a quick adjustment was performed with no luck. Mike went to Fort Worth HD (just a couple miles away) to get a new clutch as soon as they opened, and said he would catch up with us tonight in Las Cruces, NM. So the three of us took off.

You've got to love the Texas speed limits. 75 from Weatherford west, then 80 all the way to E Paso. We fought a 25 mph headwind most of the way, combined with temps from 95 to 100. I think I drank a gallon of water once we arrived.

Checked in with Mike thought the day, and he was on his way an hour or 2 behind us. At least until he got about 55 miles east ofc El Paso when joss voltage dropped to 10 and his bike would no longer start. On a holiday. In the middle of a freaking sand bowl like west Texas. Ugh. So he calls Road America who took his bike to Barnetts. Hopefully it's just a stator or regulator and he'll be back on the road in the morning. We have him an alternate route so he could catch up with us in Holbrook, AZ, our next destination.

Las Cruces is a small town, but they had a cool festival featuring a concert by Don Mclean followed by a great fireworks display.

I forgot to cancel the alarm on my phone so it went off early this morning. Another ugh. Oh well, I walked out of our Kabin and was greeted to a beautiful sunrise. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/05/y6uta4e6.jpg

Looks like it's going to be a good day! Today we rude the Coronado Trail, which used to be known as Route 666, our the Devil's Highway. Hopefully we won't pick up any unwanted passengers.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/05/9e6ejevu.jpg

dzlfitr 07-05-2014 08:33 AM

Sounds like a great time.......
except for the break down parts.

Fe Butte 07-05-2014 09:55 AM

The Best Western in Holbrook AZ has a evening soup and salad bar, it's a bit more than soup and salad tho...

And the petrified forest NP, Winslow AZ and big ass meteor hole in the ground are within that area around Holbrook...

I missed Winslow exits on my trip back from ES and tested the low fuel warning devices on my '11. :whistling:

Sleeveless 07-05-2014 10:43 AM

Except for the bike trouble sounds like a good time. Keep the photos coming. :)

griffin 07-05-2014 03:25 PM

Sounds great !

DAK47 07-05-2014 03:44 PM

Dawg!!! Some challenges (but what road trip isin't) good on ya!!! Enjoy and tear up some blacktop :DD

Dirk

Dinero 07-05-2014 08:46 PM

Are you all back together tonight?

Infidel! 07-05-2014 11:44 PM

Not yet, Jim. We are in Holbrook, Mike is in Albuquerque. He was at Barnett when they opened this morning. His bike wasn't. The towing company put his bike in storage. When he called them this morning, they said they will have the bike at the dealer.....get this....Monday morning!

Needless to say, the situation was escalated and they agreed to deliver the bike to Barnett today. It arrived at 2PM All I can say about the towing company is they SUCK!

He plans to meet us here tomorrow morning.

But, I may have to leave early. My father nis in bad shape in NJ. He has been fighting multiple things lately, and is now paralyzed from GBS, which is a rare and rapidly progressive neuro disease. He may not make it through the next few days if it doesn't respond to treatment. The old bastard is tough, but this has got the better of him. I'll know more tomorrow morning.

Backroad Mike 07-06-2014 12:39 AM

Sorry to hear about your father Dan. May he respond well to the treatment.

DaSkip 07-06-2014 08:33 AM

Sorry to hear that your father isn't doing well.

Dinero 07-06-2014 09:09 AM

This trip isn't turning out so good.

Prayers for your dad and the family.

DAK47 07-06-2014 09:40 AM

Prayers from Autumn and me for your Dad, your family and you .....

Dirk

Fe Butte 07-06-2014 10:02 AM

Sorry to hear the trip is going South, prayers sent for your Dad to get better.

Dang Tow truck drivers who can't follow instructions. :badmood:

fxr4mikey 07-06-2014 01:42 PM

Dan, the trip sounds great, even with the troubles, and the picture was great, we need more, .................. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad :( May the Mighty Spirit Ride with him in this difficult time .... God Speed To you Dan

Boston Keith 07-06-2014 07:17 PM

Sounds like good road trip