The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   BMW (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Whoops, I did it again (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201409)

Bone Stockman 08-04-2014 07:51 PM

Whoops, I did it again

2 Attachment(s)
BOPS is history, meet the Teutonic Terror.

Long story short, I found myself saying, "boy I wish I had the BMW for this" more and more often. The bike ran good, and I wasn't unhappy with it. I just wanted more than it ever could have done for me.

So at any rate, here it is. She's a loaded K1600 GTL. Here's the important stuff:

- 160hp/129ft-lbs from a 1649cc (101ci) DOHC inline 6-cylinder in a 709 pound bike.

- Dual A-arm (Duolever) front suspension, single-sided shaft-drive swing arm (Paralever) out back with a mono shock. Suspension's electronically adjustable for preload and damping.

- Partially linked disc brakes w/ABS.

- 3 riding modes: Rain (which softens the throttle response, steps up the traction control, and cuts output to 107/111), Road (which gives full power and loosens up the traction control), and Dynamic (which'll let you slide the thing around like a superbike)

- Full Bluetooth infotainment center, and a butt-ton of various information menus about the bike.

Got it last Wednesday night, got just shy of 500 miles on it now. The break-in regimen is no more than 5,000rpm up to the 1st 200 miles, then no more than 6,000rpm for the next 400. I've left it in "Rain" mode as I acclimate to it, and I've slavishly adhered to the break-in limits, but here's my initial impressions......

First of all, here's the way it fits.....

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ps74b1b5d9.png

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ps117f2638.png

In practice it's pretty comfortable. I spent 5-1/2 hours on it yesterday, and while a better seat and highway pegs (which are on order) would be appreciated, I wasn't squirming to get off of the bike.

The stereo's OK, not great. At 75mph with earplugs in and wearing a half helmet, it's clear as a bell. Less so with the full face. It does a ton of stuff, though I haven't waded through that manual yet. It's got Bluetooth and iPod integration, and it's Sirius-ready.

The rider interface is accessed via a switch and a wheel. That gives you everything from the suspension settings to the heated seat & grip settings, to the tire pressure. It's relatively intuitive.

The suspension is light years better than BOPS's, and that was with JRI shocks, a CCE triple tree, and Ricor Intiminators. If you've ridden around my house, you know how rough our roads are over here (White's Ferry Road in particular). The GTL swallows these roads up in a way that the CVO never could. When I head up to the mountains, I can set it to sport mode and carve corners like I'm on a big sportbike.

In "Rain" mode ("Harley" mode) it approximates the power that BOPS made. With 200 pounds less to haul around and a much more aerodynamic shape, it flat-out flies. The brakes are stellar. The A-arm front end allows no dive in the corners at all, and the paralever rear suspension keeps stuff in line no matter what. Even with the reduced power I was 20-30mph faster through the corners on familiar roads....And this is on an unfamiliar bike. Once I get in sync with it and go full power it'll be 40-50mph quicker. This thing flat-out defies the laws of physics.

Nicely enough, at the reduced power setting, it's perfectly comfortable cruising along at the speed limit and being a platform for sightseeing. The only real bother (if you can call it that) is that there's zero flywheel effect. Pull the clutch in and the revs drop like a stone. Blip the throttle to downshift and it zings up to redline.

But damn.....Why is it that no one other than Harley can figure out self-cancelling turn signals? And really, I have to use a key to start it? Harley's had some form of keyless ignition for decades. Oh, and the stock seat sucks (though not nearly as bad as the torture device on HtFP.

Fe Butte 08-04-2014 07:54 PM

It's because Ricky beat the pants off you in ES?

Nice!

DaSkip 08-04-2014 07:55 PM

I'm here for you Russ.

That is all.

d j 08-04-2014 07:57 PM

Like!

DAK47 08-04-2014 08:33 PM

Sehr Gute Russ..... Looked and lusted now and again, good on ya!!!! Did you buy with the rear storage case? So quick detach also??

Congrats,
Dirk

Big Cheese 08-04-2014 08:37 PM

Verra Nice.
Like the color too.
How is it 2 up?

BillyB 08-04-2014 08:44 PM

Ja das ist gut :D

Bone Stockman 08-04-2014 08:55 PM

All the cases come off easily (like in a matter of seconds). Haven't ridden it 2-up yet, still acclimating to the power.

Redleg 08-04-2014 09:09 PM

I remember how much you liked the K bike a few years ago when they first came out. Very happy for you on this one.

stupidglide 08-04-2014 09:37 PM

You are are a whoooore............ (think Lewis Black)

Just sayin'.............

(Nice scoot BTW, congrats!!!!!!)

why_me 08-04-2014 09:48 PM

I am not tall enough for that. Good looking bike, Russ. I hope it serves you well.

MrSurly 08-04-2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fe Butte (Post 1420282)
It's because Ricky beat the pants off you in ES?

Nice!

Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk

:snicker:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fe Butte 08-04-2014 11:12 PM

I forgot, H0NDA F6B...

Just sayin...

The beer has started to kick in.:rolleyes:

BigTOE 08-05-2014 05:02 AM

Awesome Russ...just remember it doesn't defy all the laws of physics. Be safe my friend.

Backroad Mike 08-05-2014 05:11 AM

Congrats again Russ.

No floorboards though?