The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   MoCo (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   H-D Ordered Not To Enforce Ban On Internet Sales by Dealers (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185096)

Redleg 12-01-2011 12:13 PM

H-D Ordered Not To Enforce Ban On Internet Sales by Dealers

From cyrilhuzeblog.com...

Harley-Davidson Ordered Not To Enforce Ban On Internet Sales Made By Its Dealers.

Published by Cyril Huze December 1st, 2011 in Editorial.

You remember that last August Harley-Davidson informed its US dealers network that online sales were forbidden outside their dealership territories. Main targets were those dealers selling online parts and accessories to 3rd party independent dealers (brick & mortar and online shops usually reselling Harley genuine parts at a discount) and to individuals whose residence are outside each dealer territory. Beginning of this month, I reported that St. Paul Harley-Davidson (incorporated as St. Paul Motorsports Inc.) sued the motorcycle manufacturer to fight the policies, which would eliminate about a quarter of the 72-year-old dealership’s revenue.

On Monday November 28, 2011, U.S. District Judge Patrick Schiltz ordered Harley-Davidson Motor Co not to enforce its ban on sales of parts, accessories and apparel through third-party websites or to international customers. The judge’s order is effective through Feb. 29, 2012. Through his attorney, St-Paul Harley owner Tom Giannetti successfully argued that although his dealership motorcycle sales were dropping since year 2000, he was able to stay in business thanks to profitable online sales. Judge Shiltz keeps the case on hold until February to give both parties enough time to negotiate an amicable resolution of the dispute.

jasilva 12-01-2011 12:28 PM

If HD was smart they would cut their losses, use the judge's decision as an excuse to back away from a stupid policy and let dealers sell parts to whom ever they wish. It really does the MoCo no good trying to limit sales in any way. Personally if they'd managed to get this policy to stick I intended to keep my current bike and maintain it with aftermarket parts until it's not feasable, then sell it off and switch brands. I won't be held hostage by the MoCo and my local stealer(who charges over MSRP on parts and has to order EVERYTHING), if they want to circumvent the free market then I won't help them with it.

dynageno 12-01-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasilva (Post 1176211)
If HD was smart they would cut their losses, use the judge's decision as an excuse to back away from a stupid policy and let dealers sell parts to whom ever they wish. It really does the MoCo no good trying to limit sales in any way. Personally if they'd managed to get this policy to stick I intended to keep my current bike and maintain it with aftermarket parts until it's not feasable, then sell it off and switch brands. I won't be held hostage by the MoCo and my local stealer(who charges over MSRP on parts and has to order EVERYTHING), if they want to circumvent the free market then I won't help them with it.

I agree

MegaGlide 12-01-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Instead of learning how to run a successful, profitable dealership from the Jenni's of the world, the MoCo prefers to crap all over them and attempt to bolster the market position of the dealers who leave us, the customers, tight jawed and looking elsewhere.
My local dealer sees me so seldom that they act like a long lost relative just walked through the door when I show up to buy a $3 part I need immediately or to visit John (my favorite tech there) because I've got some Chrome Cash from using my H-D Visa and I'm feeling too lazy to do something on my bike myself right then.
If it's a hard part worth more than $3, I'd have to wait a week for them to get it in and pay retail anyway, so I just don't go there.
Shelves are chock-a-block full of boutique items, though.

y2kflhr 12-01-2011 01:16 PM

my bike doesn't need farkles, its pre farkled....

jasilva 12-01-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dippsy (Post 1176226)
my bike doesn't need farkles, its pre gheyed....

Fixed, just to keep the mocking going

y2kflhr 12-01-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasilva (Post 1176237)
Fixed, just to keep the mocking going

I am here to serve....

jasilva 12-01-2011 01:38 PM

That's why we love you.

y2kflhr 12-01-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasilva (Post 1176240)
That's why we torture the crap out of you.

fixed

Redleg 12-01-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasilva (Post 1176240)
That's why we torture the crap out of you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dippsy (Post 1176241)
fixed

You would get lonely without the attention.

jasilva 12-01-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dippsy (Post 1176241)
fixed

Your right, I was lying before.:roflback:

Backroad Mike 12-01-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasilva (Post 1176273)
Your right, I was lying before.:roflback:

:roflback::roflback:

DaSkip 12-01-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynageno (Post 1176222)
I agree

So do I.

BillyB 12-01-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaSkip (Post 1176353)
So do I.

As do I.

Infidel! 12-02-2011 01:26 AM

Ah, now the picture is clear to me.