The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Arsenal (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Knife frustrations (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208687)

Fe Butte 01-06-2018 01:30 PM

Knife frustrations

At the inlaws...

Beyond dull cutlery.

Have purchased them higher end kitchen knives, i.e. henkils / westhoff...

They won't keep any kind sharp. They bang the edges dull on the flatware and hard surfaces.

Last visit bought them lansky quick touch up sharpener, and a blade medic. Showed them how easy to use.

Blade medic still sealed, pocket quick touch up, never cleaned.

Unpacked the blade medic, several passes on the carbide bit and the henkils cooks knife is still without an edge any sharper than the back of the blade.

Sigh! The concept of people unable to care for and sharpen their kitchen knives escapes my little brain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ol Mike 01-06-2018 01:41 PM

Jack never had that problem.:whistling:

Fe Butte 01-06-2018 06:37 PM

Why I pack my Alton's angles on some trips.

Margarita 01-06-2018 07:05 PM

um, guilty of harboring less than razor sharp knives in the kitchen.

My son turns up once in awhile and sharpens everything for me. In return, I patch the holes in his jeans that he will ignore until they are so big the entire leg of his jeans falls off. We all have our moments of usefulness.

Fe Butte 01-06-2018 11:16 PM

They used to have stones I would use, but another close relative decided they needed them more, along with a collection of lodge iron cooking ware from the 40's and 50's that was in the basement.

ms_tapestry 01-07-2018 05:44 AM

I need a new set of kitchen knives. My son complained about mine when he was here last. They are about 35 years old.

I don't know where to start buying a new set though. I use all three, the paring knife, the butcher knife and the curved blade chopping knife.

DaSkip 01-07-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms_tapestry (Post 1506421)
I need a new set of kitchen knives. My son complained about mine when he was here last. They are about 35 years old.

I don't know where to start buying a new set though. I use all three, the paring knife, the butcher knife and the curved blade chopping knife.

Check out houseofblades.com

vafatboy 01-07-2018 11:39 AM

Regardless of the blades you have or buy new, they need to be sharpened often. I’ve never had much luck with anything that claims a quick edge. I have 2 oil stones. One with medium and fine grit and an Arkansas stone.

My fillet knives are sharpened after or before every use for the most part. Kitchen knives get attention anytime they contact bone.

Bought my current stones from sharpeningsupplirs.com. Similar to this.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/O...t-P321C96.aspx

I was taught how to sharpen tools as an apprentice and self taught for knives. I recently sharpened all my BIL/sisters knives after he used one of my knives at thanksgiving get together. I also taught him how I sharpen knives, but to check myself I looked at several vids on YouTube. For the most part I do what everybody else does. It not hard to do, so get some stone, watch some vids and sharpen your knives.

Fe Butte 01-07-2018 01:04 PM

Pretty much true about keeping them touched up.

And it helps if the person using one to cut a bagel, isn't trying to slice all the way through the cutting board.

Backroad Mike 01-07-2018 01:18 PM

I do have one of the Lansky kits for sharpening knives, but must admit it's been quite a long time since it was used. :doh:

BigTOE 01-07-2018 01:55 PM

Knife frustrations

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaSkip (Post 1506426)
Check out houseofblades.com

This is a good site.
If the ones you have are quality knives they can be brought back to life. If you want new, go to a cooking store and see what fits your hand best. I prefer J. A. Henckels professional S but they regularly run sales on their original solid handle knives on their website.
Henckels recommends sending them back yearly to be resharpened. They charge $2 each for the service. Yearly is probably a bit much for the home cook but I’ve also heard of them replacing damaged knives for free when they have been sent in regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fe Butte 01-07-2018 03:36 PM

Nice!

I have some of the Henkel's I believe their model 4 (?) knives from 30 plus years ago, a couple of Alton Angles, made by Kershaw, shun style. All mine, because the boss always somehow cuts herself with them. So I keep them put away and they have the Japanese blade angle of 18° IIRC?

DaSkip 01-07-2018 03:47 PM

House of Blades offer free sharpening for life. Tonya they are in Lake Worth at Quebec and 820.

Fe Butte 01-07-2018 08:21 PM

Is that near the Fireworks, fishing bait, ammo and liquor store?

DaSkip 01-07-2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fe Butte (Post 1506467)
Is that near the Fireworks, fishing bait, ammo and liquor store?

Nope, across the road from Jason's Deli.