The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Maintenance & Service (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   My clutch cable is leaking(?) Weird (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159850)

MrSurly 04-29-2009 08:31 PM

My clutch cable is leaking(?) Weird

It appears to be (would pretty much have to be) trans oil. It does not seem to be coming from the cable's entry into the trans cover; it seems to coming from the interior of the cable several inches away from the trans case. The cable appears dry where it exits the cover. I'm gonna pull it in a bit and get a better look. Its just a tiny leak, but enough to notice when you have gangsta-wall tires. The rear gets speckled on the right side whitewall.:huh:

fxr4mikey 04-29-2009 09:00 PM

:worthless:

TalonChief 04-29-2009 09:00 PM

Probably wore a little pin-hole through the sheath.

Serg06 04-29-2009 09:10 PM

Wipe the cable off and pump the crap out of it. Maybe it will leak again.

Berserker 04-29-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalonChief (Post 707711)
Probably wore a little pin-hole through the sheath.

My guess too. If the oring isn't leaking at the cluth release cover, that leaves the cable.

Clean it up good, and see where its coming from.

Time for a nice braided cable. Few hundred bucks, after you do throttle, and front brakes too:roflback:

MrSurly 04-29-2009 10:52 PM

Pin hole in the sheath! EEwwww! that sounds BBAAAAdddd.

Actually, the cable is already one o' those high-dollar stainless-braided outfits. It apparently has a clear plastic sheath over the braid. It also has a strand of wire around the outside in that same area as armor. I cant see any damage to the sheath, but then I can't see it worth a damn either. Thats why I said I would pull it, but two things complicate doing this right now: I'm hoping to head for Junction tomorrow or early Friday and I'd hate to screw that. The other difficulty is that I can't pull the side cover without pulling the fancy-schmancy chrome engine-dress-up tins....which can't be pulled without pulling the pipes.
After looking at it a lot closer I'm starting to convince myself that its probably the o-ring at the side cover. I've just finished changing all fluids (AmsOil synth all 3) and the trans lube was still clear as a bell. It could be seeping along that cable undetected pretty easily, especially since its hidden by the tins. After it collects road grime down at the lower part, it gets nasty, tho.
I may pickup the o-ring tomorrow and tackle it before heading out.

Bone Stockman 04-30-2009 04:38 AM

If my rear was getting speckled, I'd damn sure want to know where it was coming from too.

ms_tapestry 04-30-2009 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '05Train (Post 707849)
If my rear was getting speckled, I'd damn sure want to know where it was coming from too.

:roflback::roflback::roflback:

Red Rider 04-30-2009 05:18 AM

Any chance of it getting onto your rear brake rotor?

MegaGlide 04-30-2009 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '05Train (Post 707849)

As long as it's not getting spackled, I'll still sit on the same side of the table with you.

y2kflhr 04-30-2009 06:05 AM

"its supposed to do that"

Dinero 04-30-2009 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kflhr (Post 707883)

"They all do that."

Dinero 04-30-2009 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masstch (Post 707810)
: I'm hoping to head for Junction tomorrow or early Friday and I'd hate to screw that.

Come on over and you can ride down with us. We're leaving about 10:00 AM from Belton.

You can ride in the back so you don't spray the rest of us.

y2k king 04-30-2009 07:24 AM

my rk had the same symptoms and i tightened the cable where the fitting goes into the tranny. it moved pretty easily and i didn't use any torque on it cause of the o-ring inside. it stopped the leak tho.:bowdown:

MrSurly 04-30-2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2k king (Post 707943)
my rk had the same symptoms and i tightened the cable where the fitting goes into the tranny. it moved pretty easily and i didn't use any torque on it cause of the o-ring inside. it stopped the leak tho.:bowdown:

I finally got the silly tin off of it; The cable wasn't loose, but I gave a little 'tweak' anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinero No Mas (Post 707894)
Come on over and you can ride down with us. We're leaving about 10:00 AM from Belton.

You can ride in the back so you don't spray the rest of us.

Looks like I'm headin for DFW in the AM. I'll be the doin' the James Bond oil slick trick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinero No Mas (Post 707892)
"They all do that."

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kflhr (Post 707883)

How many times have we heard that, eh?

I got the tin off and don't have a camera handy (weird, huh?) and the phone doesn't do macro well but this is what I got. The area where the cable attaches to the cover is recessed and you'd think it would have oil in it if the leak were there, but its dry. There is clean oil right at the ferrule connection to the housing and the housing is wet down to the frame...where its also grimy. The leak is apparently at the ferrule; I heading for the car wash and I'll leave the tin off till this is sorted out. Its going to Junction as is. It is a truly tiny leak. In the second pic you can see there's not much oil on the frame behind the leak. After a good cleaning it should be plain to see.

http://www.pbase.com/nufsed/image/111971505.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/nufsed/image/111971017.jpg