The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cages (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   Purchasing out of state (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204539)

Infidel! 08-19-2015 10:30 PM

Purchasing out of state

So, I totally ripped off the Hoonda dealer who bought my truck. I go to the local Ram truck dealer to buy a new truck. Sure, they want to sell me a truck. They will discount a 2015 by $5000.

Really? It's August for crying out loud. Should be anywhere from $12-15K off sticker. I ask about a 2016 and they tell me no discounts and can't even order them yet. Conversation ended right there. Blatent lie. I know folks on the Cummins Forum are already receiving their '16's that they ordered a month ago. I hate being lied to.

So I heard about these dealers up in Idaho that offer HUGE discounts. No haggling, this is the price, take it or leave it. So I call 2 of the biggest names up there and ask about a 2016 custom order.One was $8500 off sticker, and the other is over $11,000 off. Both of those places have great online reputations. They sell out of state all the time, and will even collect the Texas sales tax. Plane ticket to Boise is $239 from DFW, and they have a shuttle to pick you up at the airport.

So, anybody buy a vehicle out of state before? Any gotchas I need to watch for?

Margarita 08-19-2015 10:52 PM

Watch out for moose on the road on the way home. And elk. And deer. And antelope. And bear. A couple on a bike in Yellowstone got t-boned by a black bear this week- managed to stay on the bike but both riders had broken legs and cracked ribs. The bear survived.

You don't want to get home and have to explain what happened to your pretty new truck- and congratulations, by the way!

Fe Butte 08-19-2015 11:12 PM

Make sure it can pass California smog emissions.

Sounds like a great deal.

I bought my Toyota in Nevada, best deal I could find, better than Sacramento, they paid for the smog check fees. I know someone who can do the VIN verification. We also have to get pickups weighed. For what I don't know, something about GVWR?

Yes we have to have smog check done on a new car that has label underhood stating it meets emissions for California!

And diesels get "smog checked".

Infidel! 08-20-2015 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fe Butte (Post 1458982)
Make sure it can pass California smog emissions.

And diesels get "smog checked".

Diesels don't get checked in Texas. From what I understand, as they come stock from the factory the Ram's are supposed to be 50 state legal.

At least until they are fixed :whistling:

Infidel! 08-20-2015 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margarita (Post 1458980)
Watch out for moose on the road on the way home. And elk. And deer. And antelope. And bear. A couple on a bike in Yellowstone got t-boned by a black bear this week- managed to stay on the bike but both riders had broken legs and cracked ribs. The bear survived.

You don't want to get home and have to explain what happened to your pretty new truck- and congratulations, by the way!

Thanks.

Thought about putting a Ranch Hand front bumper on for the ride home.

Would be silly to buy it in Idaho when they are made right down the street.

Harry The M 08-20-2015 08:30 AM

Dan What about Bonham Chrysler Dodge Bonham TX ?

DAK47 08-20-2015 09:54 AM

No advice on the out of state thing.... We got 20% off sticker on our 2015 so something is stinky with your dealers.

Congrats and enjoy the new ride!!!

Dirk

Ancient Iron 08-20-2015 10:07 AM

I've bought quite a few out of state over the years. Never had any issue's. Also never had one collect sales tax for my state. Always paid sales tax at home when I did the registration and title at the courthouse.

Dinero 08-20-2015 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron (Post 1459010)
I've bought quite a few out of state over the years. Never had any issue's. Also never had one collect sales tax for my state. Always paid sales tax at home when I did the registration and title at the courthouse.

Texas will collect any sales tax difference and require a green sheet inspection to verify the vin. After that it is a straight forward registration.

You probably can get away with a "Vehicle in Transit" plate and not do anything up there.

Margarita 08-20-2015 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infidel! (Post 1458996)
Thanks.

Thought about putting a Ranch Hand front bumper on for the ride home.

Would be silly to buy it in Idaho when they are made right down the street.

Hmm. You could take one with you. Think it'll fit under the airplane seat?

MrSurly 08-20-2015 04:45 PM

The man with the Midas touch.

Boise? Pocatella? where abouts?

Ken R 08-21-2015 10:26 AM

I heard or read somewhere that a person bought a new car from out of state as you're going to do. His problem was that the dealership registered the car in that state. The guy had to re-register in his home state, costing a lot of money.

The long and short is that the dealership in one state can register the vehicle in your state; avoiding the extra fees of registering twice.

I bought my red Titan sight-unseen over the Internet from a Nissan dealer in Houston using their Internet Sales department. I was prepared for shenanigans. I got a bank certified check from my bank for the amount that the dealership quoted. Judy and I flew to Houston; the salesman met us at the airport, drove us to the dealership, and 2 hours later we were rolling home in the new truck. Everything went like clockwork.

Ken

Infidel! 08-21-2015 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry The M (Post 1459005)
Dan What about Bonham Chrysler Dodge Bonham TX ?

Didn't go that far out in Texas. The DFW area dealers pissed me off so much I had enough. I put a deposit down at Dennis Dillon up in Idaho. Wait, Ida pimp, Udaho. Lowest prices in the country, supposedly. No negotiating. Call them up, ask for a price. Done. You get the same price I do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinero (Post 1459015)
Texas will collect any sales tax difference and require a green sheet inspection to verify the vin. After that it is a straight forward registration.

You probably can get away with a "Vehicle in Transit" plate and not do anything up there.

They say they collect and pay the 6.25% Texas sales tax. Been doing it for years. I hope they are correct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSurly (Post 1459021)
The man with the Midas touch.

Boise? Pocatella? where abouts?

Caldwell, outside of Boise

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken R (Post 1459059)
I heard or read somewhere that a person bought a new car from out of state as you're going to do. His problem was that the dealership registered the car in that state. The guy had to re-register in his home state, costing a lot of money.

The long and short is that the dealership in one state can register the vehicle in your state; avoiding the extra fees of registering twice.

I bought my red Titan sight-unseen over the Internet from a Nissan dealer in Houston using their Internet Sales department. I was prepared for shenanigans. I got a bank certified check from my bank for the amount that the dealership quoted. Judy and I flew to Houston; the salesman met us at the airport, drove us to the dealership, and 2 hours later we were rolling home in the new truck. Everything went like clockwork.

Ken

They do everything but the actual registration. They give you all the paperwork you need, all you have to do is go to the DMV and get your plates I hope mine goes as smooth as yours

Ken R 08-26-2015 08:46 PM

When are you flying to Idaho?

Infidel! 08-26-2015 10:01 PM

Change in plans

Before I could close on the deal at the Hoonda place the dealer in Idaho offered me more for my truck in trade. Apparently I own a hot item! With the extra money and the sales tax credit for the trade it was a no brainer. The Hoonda guy was a little upset, but I told him what happened and he had to agree it was a better deal.

Anyways, non-refundable deposit paid and the 2016 is on order. I have my order number and should get the VIN next week sometime. I'm looking at a drive to Idaho in mid-October. Kat said she'd fly up and we could drive back home together. I might have to find a mountain or two to drive over. :DD