The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Contemplating the end (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210064)

Margarita 06-26-2019 10:23 AM

Contemplating the end

Facing a pile of repair work on the V*rago, starting with fork seals. Choices are spend a bunch doing the repairs, spend more on a different bike, or give it up all together. I don't like any of the choices. :badmood: Given increasing physical challenges, I don't have many more seasons of riding, but I hate to give it up any sooner than I have to. On the other hand, it's a lot of money going to something we can only use a handful of months out of the year.

Yeah, I don't like any of the choices.

Dinero 06-26-2019 11:36 AM

Too easy to identify with.

Legs. Got to have them.

Mine. Not so good.

Ol Mike 06-26-2019 11:48 AM

There is a time in our lives to ride
...and a time in our lives to remember our rides.

I ride every day...in my mind.

Fe Butte 06-26-2019 02:32 PM

H0NDA Grom?

125cc, streetable, on 45MPH and under streets (this may vary from state to state?) Can also go some off-road (?) use around the ranch.

Maybe it would work for me overcoming my dirt / gravel road phobias?:whistling:

Margarita 06-26-2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fe Butte (Post 1519025)
H0NDA Grom?

125cc, streetable, on 45MPH and under streets (this may vary from state to state?) Can also go some off-road (?) use around the ranch.

Maybe it would work for me overcoming my dirt / gravel road phobias?:whistling:

When I have a 1970 H0NDA 70 sitting in the garage? Perish the thought.:nope:

Turbo Turtle 06-29-2019 07:51 PM

Sad read, but understandable. I traded the wore out E glide for a Yamahondakawazuki FJ-09 a few months ago. Almost half the weight and 40 or more HP that makes it a unicycle at will :whistling: I’ll ride as long as I can feel safe doing so :unsure:

BOB

Infidel! 06-29-2019 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margarita (Post 1519026)

You should sell that

To me!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Margarita 06-29-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infidel! (Post 1519088)
You should sell that

To me!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

:nope: :)

It's a pretty sweet little piece of machinery. My parents and little brother bought it new. He was too young (12) to operate it on the road and I got my M when I was sixteen so I could haul him around the back roads in Fresno County. We put a lot of miles on that little bike. He gave it to my son when Q was 16, and now my grandson, age nine, is eyeing it.

Dinero 06-30-2019 12:13 PM

Torn.:huh:

I'm actually headed towards a power chair.

My old legs just are not doing well at all.

However, I'm looking at pulling the body of the sidecar and attempting to create a loading mechanism for the sidecar to haul the power chair.

I want to keep riding somehow, if only shorter trips.

I used to be a biker. I don't want to be some old guy who owns a bike.

I considered selling it, but that would be a disservice to the friends that got me back into riding.:bowdown:

Scabbydoo 06-30-2019 09:24 PM

I do my best to get to the gym three days a week. While I'm trying to keep everything 'operable', the legs are a priority as I need them not only to get around but to hold up the scoot when I come to a stop. I have a new reason to maintain that goal as I'll have the opportunity to ride out to Sturgis again in 2021.

Margarita 07-02-2019 01:12 AM

Getting old wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the breakdowns.

Fe Butte 07-02-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margarita (Post 1519026)

How are the forks on that?

Anyone local that even knows how a carburetor works?

Like a rotary phone on how it works in today's world, but most people don't know that "Carburetor" is a French word that translates to, Don't touch this!

Backroad Mike 07-02-2019 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fe Butte (Post 1519148)

Like a rotary phone on how it works in today's world, but most people don't know that "Carburetor" is a French word that translates to, Don't touch this!

Carburetor on my riding mower went wacky recently. Spent better part on a day wasting my time trying to fix it. Gave up and ordered aftermarket replacement for very reasonable cost and quick ship. Works fine now. Can't think about the time I wasted trying to troubleshoot the bad one. I got the plug and play replacement cheaper than a repair kit for the bad one.

Margarita 07-03-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fe Butte (Post 1519148)

My father-in-law was mechanic who taught his sons well. Son taught grandson, so I am surrounded by individuals who understand mechanical French. About the best I can manage is "Polly vou, Frances?" which translates as "what the hell is wrong with the thing now?"

Scabbydoo 07-08-2019 09:27 PM

What does Francis wanting a cracker have to do with carburetors?