The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes, Rotors & Calipers (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Brake Vibration (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207023)

Fe Butte 10-22-2016 09:24 AM

Brake Vibration

So, my latest go around with the dealer experts.

At the end of September went on a ride to Las Vegas, via Death Valley, on the way to the valley floor from the West approach you drop down into the Panamint valley before you get to Death Valley proper.
There are some really nice curves going into Panamint on the downgrade.

That is when I noticed the entire front of the bike shaking whenever I applied the front brakes.

So... I have finally gotten it up to the dealer this past week so they can check it out.

Here is what they found was causing the vibration...

They found the rotors are within factory run-out specifications, so they installed (replaced) front wheel bearings as they have decided that the bearings are the culprit in causing the vibration under braking.

But they are going to test ride it some more and see if the vibration is gone...

Now, I failed to mention to them that I took an advanced riders course in which during the "panic" braking portions I was smelling roasted brake pad smells, I didn't want to get into the blame game of something along the lines of, I had failed to keep the tires inflated with factory approved air.

In my 30 some years of working on the four wheel vehicles I never ran into a wheel bearing that caused a vibration under brake application, there were the few bearings that were worn or sloppy enough to allow the rotor(s) to push the pads back enough to give the driver the feeling of no brakes, until the pedal was pumped once or twice and the pads were pushed back to close contact with the rotor.

So Harley's must have some pretty unique wheel bearings that are smooth at high road speeds, but cause vibration under brake application... :blink:

Sigh...

orbit 10-22-2016 11:40 AM

Yeah, maybe your fork tubes are floppin' around in the triple tree.

You need a fork brace.

Or a wrench.

Yeah, that's it.

Wiper fluid is depleted.

YankeeBob 10-22-2016 02:48 PM

Probably overheated and warped the rotors.

Fe Butte 10-22-2016 04:00 PM

Hummm, maybe possibly...:whistling:

But the Rushmore platform has "full" floating rotors, the bolt is tightened through a "sleeve" spacer to attach them to the hub of the wheel.

Also, yes, does have linked ABS, but at lower speeds are un-linked.

Also I did notice some ABS cycling during the advanced course, there was a bit of a pavement bump just prior to where you were panic stopping, so the rear tire would hop and the ABS would cycle and when the rear tire hit back onto the ground I was being told that I was locking the rear wheel, I explained that the ABS was in cycle and when the tire contacted the ground there was probably a bit of tire scrub noise upon touch down when it had to start "rolling" again.

Fe Butte 10-29-2016 08:36 PM

Well picked the kitten up today, a quick blast down the road and lightly applying the front brakes confirms they are not fixed!

Anything above 40 MPH, just enough pressure on the front brakes to feel that they are starting to grab the rotor.

And...

It instantly feels like the road surface becomes very rough and the windscreen starts to shake and shimmy...:doh:

Beside them not fixing the brake shimmy shake, I now have a collection of oily hand prints on the forks, front fender and the exhaust heat shields and both muffler bodies.

I can't wait for the survey e-mail... :s_e_grin:

Dinero 10-30-2016 10:05 AM

I wouldn't wait.

Send a friendly note to MOCO and see if you get a response.

orbit 10-30-2016 10:12 AM

I know it ain't easy, because of your location, but I'd try a different dealership.

Or just order the rotors and fix it yourself.

I know. It's under warranty.

But it may be your only course to satisfaction.

How long you wanna mess with dissatisfaction?

Fe Butte 10-30-2016 10:53 AM

That may be the only way.

Now have to get a 2015 RTFS*M

*Service...

Ancient Iron 10-30-2016 02:28 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I ruint my rear rotor the other day.

Just sayin'.:whistling:

Fe Butte 10-30-2016 04:50 PM

Putting a full floating rear rotor on my '06 really improved the brake reaction time...

Sent from mobile device prone to spelling errors

par_fore 10-31-2016 06:30 PM

Sad that repairing it yourself is the best course. It's faster and gives you the peace of mind knowing it's done right though. I'll do whatever I can to keep em out of the dealer.

And I've had both bikes in for service once and came out with handprints and/or oil to clean up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron (Post 1490502)
If it makes you feel any better, I ruint my rear rotor the other day.

Just sayin'.:whistling:

This story is lacking a few details. More words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fe Butte 10-31-2016 08:15 PM

It's sad they treat the owner(s) like a moron.

Yes just what did befall your poor rear brake rotor?

Infidel! 10-31-2016 10:56 PM

I need to do something about my squealing rear brake

Ancient Iron 11-01-2016 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fe Butte (Post 1490565)
Yes just what did befall your poor rear brake rotor?

Shortest way to explain is, steel pads are kinda rough on steel rotors.

Wasn't paying much attention to pad wear as I had put new (stock HD) pads on recently. Ride to work and back most every day. Most days in the rain around here. Didn't notice any grinding or noise at all. Just noticed less braking power. Hmm, less than 4K miles on those pads. Although a lot of those miles were heavy traffic, light to light stuff. Gave it a look see and both pads were slick steel only. And the rotor was down around .020" on each side.

I have no explanation. I flushed fluid in the spring. Cleaned caliper pistons when I changed pads. I believe the rain may have kept the situation quiet for awhile. Bad pads maybe? Don't know. Have new rotor and EBC pads now so I'll see what happens.

vafatboy 11-01-2016 10:20 AM

Brake Vibration

I wouldn't fix it on my dime yet, I would call HD and complain that a safety issue was not repaired and I expect satisfaction