The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oil & Lubrication (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   K & P oil filters (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209201)

Fe Butte 07-03-2018 11:00 AM

K & P oil filters

Well on my long trips, where it may need an oil change along the way, I use one of my K&P oil filters.

I do a quick and dirty oil change, if needed, where I drop all three quarts and refill it and leave the K&P in place.

This past trip I didn't have to do that, but as was really close to the 5 K change, I changed it once I got home.

Removed the K&P and found some metal "dust" on the magnet, I can't recall if this is normal as in the past when I changed oil.

Anyone else out there running the K&P see this when changing the oil?

As I am taking it to the dealer next week to have them flush the ABS and check for the ongoing exhaust leak, I always install an official HD oil filter so they don't get all overly excited seeing non Harley things on the bike.

Also fresh HD spark plugs, because you know, those evil NGK's or Denso spark plugs will cause exhaust leaks . . .

:s_e_grin:

dynageno 07-05-2018 10:06 AM

I run the K & P and have seen a dirty Magnet, but not too bad I guess. I really like this filter and the fact that I don't have to keep buying $$$ filters.

fxr4mikey 02-08-2019 04:05 PM

Yep, I had been running the one of those on the orange crush for many years. When I got the 2014 limited I thought I would buy one for that. Some investigation showed that I could take the one from the FXR and put it directly on The limited, so I did.

I like you, have found many times a dirty magnet, but that's all.

The filter is so easy to clean and reassemble and install bingo bango bongo you're done

And no out-of-pocket money hee haw

Fe Butte 02-08-2019 05:21 PM

Just a really "fine" "dust is all I can see, more like heavily pigmented oil paint.

Just can't recall from when I was running it on the '06...

But most likely "normal".

Just wish K&P made a filter element (without the housing) that would fit in the Toyota filter canister housing, so far they say they are not making one.

Infidel! 02-08-2019 10:20 PM

Probably normal.

You may want to send a sample of the oil off to Blackstone labs to be sure

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Turbo Turtle 02-09-2019 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infidel! (Post 1516432)
Probably normal.

You may want to send a sample of the oil off to Blackstone labs to be sure

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Not a bad idea. Also Tom, I'd rather spin a new filter on and top up the oil for a "dirty oil change". All oils have better heat and wear ratings in this day and age. I believe filtration is more important :unsure:

bob

Dinero 02-10-2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fe Butte (Post 1516423)

Just wish K&P made a filter element (without the housing) that would fit in the Toyota filter canister housing, so far they say they are not making one.

You can do anything with a hacksaw and a welder.:roflback: