The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oil & Lubrication (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   What The Heck! (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206405)

Fe Butte 05-29-2016 08:35 PM

What The Heck!

They can't even make up their own minds!

I got into this because they used SYN 3 in all three holes??? For the 1 K service.

I am going to change the trans to synthetic hypoid gear oil, just because there are hypoid gears in there with high shear wear conditions.

> Formula + Transmission and Primary Chaincase Lubricant, (as taken from their web site)

Developed with a proprietary mineral basestock formula and TESTED-CERTIFIED by Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Formula+ is blended to provide lubricity for the anti-wear requirements of transmission gears. Formulated to maintain the coefficient of friction for proper clutch operation and provide adequate lubrication to the primary chain, this lubricant is approved for use in all stages of transmission and primary chaincase life. Not for use in the crankcase as a motor oil. '84-later Big Twin models with wet-type diaphragm spring clutch. Every 10,000 miles, or prior to winter or extended storage periods. All Big Twin models. Every 20,000 miles, or prior to winter or extended storage periods. '71-later XL and '83-'84 XR1000 models. Every 10,000 miles, or prior to winter or extended storage periods. Formulated for use in Harley-Davidson Transmissions and the following Primary Chaincase applications: '71-later XL, '83-'84 XR1000, '08-'13 XR, and '84-later Big Twin models with wet type diaphragm spring clutch. Not for use in '02-later VRSC™ or '15-later XG models

> SYN 3 Premium Level oil: (from Harley website)

WHY IT'S BETTER
Exclusively designed for Harley-Davidson®, SYN3® has the optimum blend of additives, providing your motorcycle with the best level of protection. Backed by hundreds of thousands of miles of testing, SYN3® benefits include:
Our engineers have tested powertrains under controlled environments to make sure every additive is the correct additive and the right amount. The end result is the best oil you can buy for your Harley-Davidson® powertrain.
Formulated to improve wear protection, reduce oil consumption and reduce engine deposits.
Oil will not break down under hot temperatures and will remain stable and not “gel” when the temperature is cold.
Premium detergents keep engines, transmissions and primary chain cases cleaner.
Meets the anti-wear lubricity requirements of all transmission gears.
Gives proper lubrication to all primary chain case components.
Delivers smooth, sure clutch operation.

Improves seal and gasket performance.
Offers superior performance in high-output engines.

MrSurly 05-29-2016 08:39 PM

You know, reading can be bad for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegaGlide 05-29-2016 08:48 PM

I did not like the Formula + in the primary.

Just another damn Dave
Fluent in Pidgin Cigar Spanish

vafatboy 05-29-2016 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaGlide (Post 1481406)
I did not like the Formula + in the primary.

Just another damn Dave
Fluent in Pidgin Cigar Spanish

Smart Dave says it's the go to for the late style compensators.

Margarita 05-29-2016 11:49 PM

I wish I could read something like this and respond, "Oh, yeah, that makes perfect sense."

But I can't.

Settertude 05-30-2016 05:48 AM

Gotta love 'em. They are simple, but they try.

Bone Stockman 05-30-2016 06:58 AM

Formula + in the primary. Don't over-think it, just use it and change it every 5k. With the newer compensators, nothing lubricates as well while maintaining good shift quality.

Settertude 05-30-2016 07:49 AM

Amsoil hole specific stuff.

TimmyD 05-30-2016 08:01 AM

...too...many...words...

MegaGlide 05-30-2016 08:43 AM

Fortunately, the comp in my obsolete '05 is not the late style.

orbit 05-30-2016 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaGlide (Post 1481455)
Fortunately, the comp in my obsolete '05 is not the late style.

Hey! My '06 has an obsolete comp too!

And it's primary contains Formula+!

:coffee:

Fe Butte 05-30-2016 09:07 AM

It does work, all I've run in the primary since the new style dished spring comp design.

Luke611 05-30-2016 09:34 AM

My indie put Amsoil ATF in the primary. He said ATF is good, so long as it meets a certain spec. I wish I could remember what spec it was.

Sent from my Verizon Ellipsis 10

Fe Butte 05-30-2016 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margarita (Post 1481416)
I wish I could read something like this and respond, "Oh, yeah, that makes perfect sense."

But I can't.

Join right in:

What do you prefer to fry your Rocky Mountain Oysters in?

43a: EVOO

d,¥, 7: Canola

41z: safolla

Or what the Pioneer woman uses, Bear fat...

:s_e_grin;

BigTOE 05-30-2016 09:42 AM

I ran ATF in the '05 and still run it in the RK. The '14 get's Formula +.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk