The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   TroubleHead Garage (Geno's Place) (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   1993 FLHS: Can I pick Your Brains? (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206643)

257bob 07-20-2016 01:38 PM

1993 FLHS: Can I pick Your Brains?

I impulsively bought the bike the other day. Has 98,000 miles on it, rode it 130 miles home. Seems to run OK, but the motor shakes like a dog passing a peach seed at idle and is rough at all but a few narrow areas on the tach. It also feels unpredictable in corners and rides like an overloaded oil tanker.

I bought the bike knowing it would need some work and I think front motor mount and swingarm isolators will be the first step. I plan on using OEM style parts as I don't want to spend big bucks on this thing until I know the bike a little better.

So I have a couple questions;

Where is the best place to get a service manual, Clymer or Haynes OK? What about a parts breakdown?

Where do you guys source parts for older bikes? J&P seems to have a fair bit of stuff but the website is cumbersome. Any on line stores have a fiche? Do you use dealerships?

The bike has an S&S Super E on it, which seems to work fine. I also have the stock carb. What's the advantage of one over the other?

I plan to put stock mufflers back on in favor of the V&H slipons, as well as remove the hypercharger and go with the stock cover or S&S teardrop; I will ride in the rain and I don't like loud pipes. :Hurt:

Thanks

Fe Butte 07-20-2016 02:35 PM

Swing arm bushings / shaft need lubing or rebuilding?

Slick 07-20-2016 02:55 PM

I'm in the long process of rebuilding a 1980 H0nda CB750 and the dealer websites all have links to parts diagrams. If a part I need is discontinued I use the part number in an eBay search. I've found lots of old original original parts that way. Don't know if the mothership operates the same way

Dinero 07-20-2016 03:12 PM

Sounds like motor mounts and swing arm or swing arm bushings is the first job. That will help several of you problems.

How are the shocks and front forks? Do you have good spring back?

Somebody smarter than me will be along to discuss carburetors and such. A lot of that will be personal choice in some instances. What are you comfortable working on/adjusting on the side of the road?

I'd want to check and change plugs and all fluids just so you have a baseline.

Mufflers and sound are another personal choice issue unless you have a matching flow issue between the carb and the exhaust.

Air in and air out is the mantra for these big air pumps.

Slick 07-20-2016 03:32 PM

Or tahrs. Make sure you have good tahrs.

PS: they call em tyres in Canukistan and tires in 'Murica

257bob 07-21-2016 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fe Butte (Post 1485153)
Swing arm bushings / shaft need lubing or rebuilding?

No idea; I was thinking I ought to pull the whole thing apart and have a look.

257bob 07-21-2016 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick (Post 1485155)
I'm in the long process of rebuilding a 1980 H0nda CB750 and the dealer websites all have links to parts diagrams. If a part I need is discontinued I use the part number in an eBay search. I've found lots of old original original parts that way. Don't know if the mothership operates the same way

I didn't even think of looking at dealer websites, thanks for the heads up.

257bob 07-21-2016 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinero (Post 1485156)
Sounds like motor mounts and swing arm or swing arm bushings is the first job. That will help several of you problems.

How are the shocks and front forks? Do you have good spring back?

Somebody smarter than me will be along to discuss carburetors and such. A lot of that will be personal choice in some instances. What are you comfortable working on/adjusting on the side of the road?

I'd want to check and change plugs and all fluids just so you have a baseline.

Mufflers and sound are another personal choice issue unless you have a matching flow issue between the carb and the exhaust.

Air in and air out is the mantra for these big air pumps.

Shocks and forks seem to absorb bumps OK so I'll probably leave them until I get some of the other stuff sorted.

Fluids and plugs will all get changed along with the clutch cable which has some broken wires at the lever end and a rotten adjuster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick (Post 1485163)
Or tahrs. Make sure you have good tahrs.

PS: they call em tyres in Canukistan and tires in 'Murica

A new set of E3's will go on; it has a mismatched set of old looking tires on it right now. I can check bearings and seals at the same time.

257bob 07-21-2016 08:36 AM

Found the multi-quote function...

257bob 08-02-2016 08:33 AM

Got the stock muffs back on; between that and removing the turbulence generator (windshield) the bike is much more pleasant to ride.

I have never owned an S&S carburetor. The PO told me it didn't have a choke and showed me a "special technique" he used with the throttle to get it started. That seemed weird, but WTH. I was looking things over the other day and noticed a little device that looked quite a lot like a enrichment device. Next time I started it cold I pulled it up and latched it; BOOM! Started right up and ran at a fast idle like a champ. :laugh:

The front brake switch appears not to work and I need to get to those engine/swingarm mounts.

Fe Butte 08-02-2016 08:56 AM

Yeah no choke, but an enrichment device.

Harry The M 08-02-2016 04:24 PM

Try Ronnies Harley Davidson Parts and Service manuals can be order at HD dealers or flea bay!!!!!

dynageno 12-24-2016 02:40 PM

Sounds like it's coming along just fine. Keep us posted please.
OH yea what year is it again?

BigTOE 12-24-2016 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynageno (Post 1492520)

I think it was sometime in the early 90's :blink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinero 12-24-2016 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynageno (Post 1492520)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTOE (Post 1492521)
I think it was sometime in the early 90's :blink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk