The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Tuners in Texas? (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203432)

MrSurly 04-08-2015 04:33 PM

Tuners in Texas?

First, I would LOVE to have Smart Dave do it or Jamie at FM.
Those guys are each over a thousand miles away. I'm going to have to look a little closer to home and I'm looking for recommendations.
Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana might work as well.
It needs to be someone who will tune with the PV and not insist that I have to buy THEIR tuner or THEIR pipe,etc.

I know that Steve at GMR is local.
I've heard of Ed at Dyno Difference.

Who else is around this part of the world that tunes?

Whom do you guys recommend (or recommend against).

I think I'm ready to get someone to give it a real tune.

DaSkip 04-08-2015 06:01 PM

Ricky this guy is really good. You should give him a call.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Piper...66727700163429

Dinero 04-08-2015 07:10 PM

All my tuners closed up.

Dinero 04-08-2015 07:11 PM

Are they out of tune, or am I?

Bone Stockman 04-08-2015 07:30 PM

Ricky, I've got room in the garage and a spare bedroom if you want to make the trip up here. We're a very pleasant day's ride from Smart Dave's, and I know he'd love to have you up there.

Infidel! 04-08-2015 11:26 PM

I have experience with Ed in Dallas. Some people love him. I think he's a hack. He has learned more from us than he knew before. Timing was a foreign concept to him. Ken has a different opinion and may weigh in and give you the other side of the story.

I had Steve at GMR tune Black Booty recently. It runs phenomenal, and gets better gas mileage than I could have imagined. The dude can be an ass at times but he knows how to tune a bike. He's literally 10 minutes from my house. He thought I had all the wrong parts on my bike, but I told him to just tune it to run the best as is. I don't have earth shattering dyno numbers, but I have a great running bike that looks the way I want it to look.

I'd love to get Smart Dave to work on my bike.

MrSurly 04-09-2015 12:31 AM

Tuners in Texas?

I'm probably going to end up at GMR. When I did my top secret build up last year I had called and bent the ears of these guys at GMR, FullSac, Ed, and the Cliff fellow. I also did some texting and emailing with Jamie Long and Smart Dave. I'll have to say that to a man, each of them spent a surprising amount of time on me even though I made it clear that I wasn't getting a tune anytime soon.
Steve Cole was helpful, except for the pushing of his pipes and the TTS.
I did buy some re-core components from him.
Steve at GMR was very helpful but the conversation would go off course as he told me about drag racing his truck or about some guy I didn't know and some personal stuff but I just let him ramble. He did have good info and in fact, I bought a Barnett VPC from him at a great price. The Ed guy sounded a bit odd as I recall, but I can't remember why.
Someone, it might have been Cliff, was a huge fan of Drago's pipes.
The best help was Smart Dave, of course. We conspired..... Well, *I* conspired and he agreed to keep my secret.
He's just so darned far away.
The same is true of Jamie.

Dan, did Steve tune using your PV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

albundy 04-09-2015 03:11 AM

Piper told me he knew nothing about a PV.

SafetyMan 04-09-2015 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albundy (Post 1447081)
Piper told me he knew nothing about a PV.

If it were me, I would keep looking for someone else....

PV isn't that complicated, especially for someone that knows how to tune.

Infidel! 04-09-2015 07:20 AM

Yes, Steve tuned my bike with a PV. I think he prefers TTS, but phew was very familiar with PV. Anyone with a Dynojet dyno should have the software to work with a PV

I talked to Cliff Piper before I went with GMR, because I had experience with him about 9 years ago. He did a good job tuning my bike, but I felt it always ran a little rich. After talking to him recently, he sounded stuck in the past and like Albundy, he didn't seem to have a clue about PV.

MrSurly 04-09-2015 09:01 PM

Some news! It seems that I've a trip to Keller coming up.
I called Steve today. The call was a bit rambling as before but after saying he was too booked for any new work... We talked more in more detail about my mods and goals Etc and eventually he agreed to the date I had in mind.
He's also in the middle of relocating his shop two miles down the road. Due to this, the date might get changed, but we'll see.
I'm trying to make it happen "on the way to" Ingram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Infidel! 04-09-2015 10:57 PM

Date?

Dinero 04-10-2015 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infidel! (Post 1447181)
Date?

I don't think he dates guys.

MrSurly 04-10-2015 10:19 AM

Scheduled for April 30. I'll probably just ride over really early that morning.
I don't know yet if I'll go home or just head to Ingram from there.

Infidel! 04-10-2015 02:31 PM

Mi casa es su casa if you feel like slumming. I'm trying to decide if I want to ride to Ingram Thursday night or Friday morning.