The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Outlander (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206710)

Fe Butte 08-06-2016 01:11 PM

Outlander

By Daina Gabaldon.

So far more than halfway through the book is good reading.

Starting to go past my reading allotment time...

MegaGlide 08-06-2016 01:37 PM

Been reading those since they were first out. You will fall in love with the characters. And it takes her like 5 years to write a new book. On Starz as a series now. They are doing a good job with it.

Just another damn Dave
Fluent in Pidgin Cigar Spanish

MegaGlide 08-06-2016 01:37 PM

Do not start on TV until you've read all the books.

Just another damn Dave

MegaGlide 08-06-2016 01:47 PM

Outlander

Subsequent installments are the size of the Unabridged Dictionary Of All The Languages Of The World. Large type edition.

Just another damn Dave

Margarita 08-06-2016 02:18 PM

This series never resonated with me though I enjoyed the first half of the first book well enough when I read it twenty-five years ago. Of course, I also burned out halfway through the first book of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy and didn't particularly care for the Harry Potter books either. Alas, I suspect I'm missing some sort of gene for enjoying fantasy genres in series .

Fe Butte 08-06-2016 03:30 PM

The Walker River Lodge does not offer Starz as one of the direct tv (SUX!) channel offerings...:badmood:

MegaGlide 08-06-2016 03:35 PM

Outlander

Actually, it's pretty accurate historical fiction with just a bit of an ability to suspend disbelief needed for the time travel.

Just another damn Dave

Fe Butte 08-06-2016 06:15 PM

Yep, trying to pick up Scottish...

MegaGlide 08-06-2016 07:47 PM

So, ye havna got the Gaelic, then?

Fe Butte 08-06-2016 07:49 PM

Tryin' hard ya ken...

Fe Butte 08-06-2016 08:08 PM

Oh lookie!

http://outlanderlists.weebly.com/gaelic-words.html

Margarita 08-06-2016 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaGlide (Post 1486098)
Actually, it's pretty accurate historical fiction with just a bit of an ability to suspend disbelief needed for the time travel.

Just another damn Dave

That's good. Historical inaccuracies and anachronisms in literature and movies make me crazy. Actually, it is less the time travel that bothers me than the romantic fantasies that emerged from the whole Bonnie Prince Charlie fiasco. He was not exactly William Wallace or even Robert Bruce (who is vastly overrated himself), and most of Scotland wished he'd stayed in France.

But I digress, as usual.

MegaGlide 08-07-2016 08:52 AM

Oh, and never call her on the occasional error that she makes. She has an assistant who answers her e-mails that will just double-talk you to death. And if you bring one up on her Facebook page, her rabid fans will just vilify you for daring to bring it up.
House Finches did not exist outside of the American Southwest until the 1940s. So, probably not in NC in the 1700s...

Fe Butte 08-07-2016 10:20 AM

As fun as trying to get across to the Lowes chat line person, that after driving 80 miles to the store, there are still not nine clamping knobs in the hardware bin that were not there three weeks ago, even after the hardware guy said the order was coming in next week. Three weeks ago...:badmood:

I need a job where I can lie to everyone and deflect shortcomings onto someone else. But I am not that person, my shortcoming is I care too much. :doh:

Margarita 08-07-2016 10:25 AM

Wouldn't dream of correcting anyone's errors on Facebook; I've made enough errors as a writer that I avoid excoriating other writers in front of their public and hope they would extend the same courtesy to me.

Of course, if someone writes about being bitten by diamondback rattlesnakes in Wyoming, all bets are off. There are some errors that tip over into idiocy and should not be perpetuated.