The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Cigar Channel (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180)
-   -   Gee, this is fun. (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189963)

MegaGlide 07-24-2012 10:52 PM

Gee, this is fun.

1 Attachment(s)
Built in hygrometer in the front of the thing. I reckon I'll just let it get as humid as it will and write a correction factor on it in grease pencil like we used to on the aneroid altimeters at work. :RR

MegaGlide 07-24-2012 10:57 PM

Oops. Forgot the "Damn you, Russ." in the first post.
Sorry.

J.A.F.O. 07-24-2012 10:58 PM

Wheel of fortune in your humidor?

Wtf ?

Sent from my Undroid

MegaGlide 07-24-2012 11:01 PM

Getting it moist inside. Humidifier w/ 50/50 propylene glycol in the corner, saucer w/ a shot glass full of distilled water sitting on it in there until the humidity comes up. No Vanna (I looked).

Fe Butte 07-24-2012 11:08 PM

Don't drink the propylene glycol, it is just as bad as ethylene...

y2kflhr 07-25-2012 05:15 AM

don't forget to calibrate your digital hygrometer......

Uesque 07-25-2012 06:12 AM

I thought he gave up cigars for shots of tequila.

Bone Stockman 07-25-2012 06:27 AM

Little did I know what I was creating. And I have to add a "damn you Chip", 'cause now I'm getting all freaky about humidity, temperature, and properly sequestering different flavors.

MegaGlide 07-25-2012 06:35 AM

Yeah, I've got a second one coming for the infused Drew Estate ones. And if I can find a decent little humidifier thing locally, I may just do a jar or a "Tupperdor" for the those and just use the second one for more regular cigars.
Did I say "damn you, Russ" yet this morning?

Uesque 07-25-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '05Train (Post 1252569)
I'm getting all freaky about humidity, temperature, and properly sequestering different flavors.

The Giant Eagle down the street from work keeps them at the perfect temp and humidity, I just stop and get what I want on the way home.

J.A.F.O. 07-25-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaGlide (Post 1252533)
Getting it moist inside. Humidifier w/ 50/50 propylene glycol in the corner, saucer w/ a shot glass full of distilled water sitting on it in there until the humidity comes up. No Vanna (I looked).

Stop the madness now!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're over thinking the shit out of this...

Buy the cigars..drop them in the humidor with some kind of humidification device...I use these tubes that you fill up with tap water and look like cigar tubes. One is good for about 25 cigars. Check every 2 weeks or so and keep filled with water.

If you're not smoking that often..Open the lid once a month or so to let some fresh air.

Light the cigars with whatever flame producing thing you have..

That pretty much covers it.

Sheeesh!!!!!!!!!!!!

SafetyMan 07-25-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.A.F.O. (Post 1252606)

Buy the cigars..drop them in the humidor with some kind of humidification device...I use these tubes that you fill up with tap water and look like cigar tubes. One is good for about 25 cigars. Check every 2 weeks or so and keep filled with water.

If you're not smoking that often..Open the lid once a month or so to let some fresh air.

Sheeesh!!!!!!!!!!!!

What he said.

But I use the plastic foam filled thingies with the humectant, but I dont' over think it, just squirt some in, and let it go....

silent1 07-25-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uesque (Post 1252581)
The Giant Eagle down the street from work keeps them at the perfect temp and humidity, I just stop and get what I want on the way home.

This is what I do. I don't smoke enough to require a humidor and stocking up in bulk.

MegaGlide 07-25-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.A.F.O. (Post 1252606)

Sheeesh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, in my defense, the 50/50 stuff came with it, and it says to only use it every 3-6 months anyway. Distilled water the rest of the time, which I have a gallon of so it's not like that's gonna kill me. The 50/50 stuff is supposed to protect against mold, so twice a year, distilled water the rest of the time?
And I have a sponge in there now instead of the shot glass, well dampened w/ distilled water, sitting on a plastic bag. I just feel like I should know what the hygrometer reads when it's good and humid so I know when it's time to squirt more water into the glorified sponge in the humidifier.

But, yeah... :RR

Infidel! 07-25-2012 06:24 PM

If you haven't already, take that sponge, wring it out and wipe the entire inside of the humidor. After that, wet it again and continue what you're doing. If after 24 hours the humidity doesn't hold, repeat the wiping and wet sponge thing. Make sure the sponge is brand new or you could introduce mold.

What causes mold is either dirty cigars (less likely) or over-humidification. You don't want mold, you can never get rid of the spores. You have to get a new humidor and smoke all your cigars in one night.