The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Softail Discussion (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I am here to announce that I am an idiot, (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167930)

gasbag 01-24-2010 06:38 PM

I am here to announce that I am an idiot,

a moron, a pathetic mishmash of greycells, dumber than a post. I am so dumb a post thinks I am dumb.

About a week ago I started a thread asking for help on my Heritage. It had a new and strange noise.

Now, keep in mind that I had been looking for this noise for over a month. I have checked all nuts and bolts, spokes, tightened things, loosened and moved around and re-tightened things. The only thing I didn't do was use duct tape.

My son came down last Thursday to stay a few days so we could ride. Last time he was here he could not hear the noise.

Here is how our first ride went.

Dad, "Hey Chris, would you mind riding the Heritage once more just to see if you can hear anything."

Son; rolling eyes and thinking about commitment papers for Dad, "Ok Dad. I will give it
one more shot. If I don't hear it this time I have a home in mind for you."

Dad, "Gee, thanks. I knew you loved me."

So he jumped on and rode off. Damn my bike sounds good. 15 minutes later he came back. Damn my bike sounds good. He had an odd smile on his face that told me I was on my way to the home.

Dad, "Well, any luck."

Son, "Yeah, I heard it this time."

Dad, "YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Son, "I fixed it too"

Dad, "Uh...............what?"

He calmly reached down and unscrewed the gas cap and handed it to me.

It seems the chrome lid had come loose from the plastic threads and was vibrating at certain rpm's.

Dad, looking sheepish and feeling dumb, "Wow, thanks. I really appreciate it. It was driving me nuts."

Son, "No problem Dad. Now, about that home I have been checking out for you."

We went out, put about 120 miles on the bikes, stopped at Harley and bought a new gas cap, had a great time.

Good gravy I am a moron............................................. ........:badmood:

Redleg 01-24-2010 06:47 PM

:roflback: Glad it wasn't something serious!

Sweet Pea 01-24-2010 06:53 PM

Bless your heart.....:lol:

MrSurly 01-24-2010 06:54 PM

Just out of reach? Couldn't quite get a hand on it while riding?

:41:

EDIT: Good on ya for fessin up, BTW. We like new targets...

Boop 01-24-2010 06:54 PM

Durn kid. :roflback:

griffin 01-24-2010 06:57 PM

good on ya for admiting it !!

why_me 01-24-2010 06:58 PM

I think the kid planted it. Probably got a bad gas cap from one of his friends just to do this to you. Yeah...that's it!

MrSurly 01-24-2010 07:01 PM

now THAT would be delicious, wouldn't it..and whatever the other noise was would still be there.

DaSkip 01-24-2010 07:03 PM

I respect an honest man, they're kind of rare these days. I'm happy your problem is solved.

Scabbydoo 01-24-2010 08:48 PM

So, the kid's a smart ass huh..................:roflback:

hey.......at least you know you aren't 'hearing things' :DD

Luke611 01-24-2010 11:17 PM

Kind of like when you think the subs are rattling a door panel, but discover it's the garage door opener on the visor making the noise?

Oh yeah, and I had that gas cap thing a couple of years ago too.

Backroad Mike 01-25-2010 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke611 (Post 856980)
Kind of like when you think the subs are rattling a door panel, but discover it's the garage door opener on the visor making the noise?

Oh yeah, and I had that gas cap thing a couple of years ago too.

I had a fuel cap cover causing a rattle this last year. I didn't immediately figure it out either. :whistling:

y2kflhr 01-25-2010 07:11 AM

we knew that.....:roflback:

Infidel! 01-25-2010 08:43 AM

Glad you got it fixed.

Do they have bike parking at the home? :roflback:

Parks 01-25-2010 09:53 AM

At least you can still hear...so there is the silver lining for you!