The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   BMW (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Water cooled Boxer officially revealed (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191353)

Redleg 10-02-2012 06:51 AM

Water cooled Boxer officially revealed

Still an 1170 mill, a lot of stuff that was optional before now included.

Will this further complicate PeaceKeeper's new bike fever? :popcorn:

Linky...

Bone Stockman 10-02-2012 07:05 AM

Boy there were an awful lot of wrong guesses about this bike.

Big thumbs up on the TBW and wet clutch, as well as the Ducati-like riding modes. But.....

No Adventure model (yet), and dammit I like the simplicity of an air-cooled motor. It's nice, and I'll be all over the ride reports when they come out, but I'm quite content with my old-tech Camhead.

d j 10-02-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '05Train (Post 1271325)
Boy there were an awful lot of wrong guesses about this bike.

Big thumbs up on the TBW and wet clutch, as well as the Ducati-like riding modes. But.....

No Adventure model (yet), and dammit I like the simplicity of an air-cooled motor. It's nice, and I'll be all over the ride reports when they come out, but I'm quite content with my old-tech Camhead.

:roflback:You know you want it.:roflback:

Bone Stockman 10-02-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d j (Post 1271327)
:roflback:You know you want it.:roflback:

In 3 or 4 years once they've worked out the bugs and I've worn out HtFP, sure. I'm good for now.

PeaceKeeper 10-02-2012 08:19 AM

Shit, I was just drooling over the Selvio NXT 1200, Damn you!

Uesque 10-02-2012 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That was done late in the 60s, early 1970s:

Redleg 10-02-2012 10:54 AM

:rimshot:

Redleg 10-02-2012 02:46 PM

More info for PeaceKeeper...

Linky

Redleg 10-02-2012 02:48 PM

And a cool video...

PeaceKeeper 10-02-2012 03:06 PM

Want to ride the elephant.

Seriously, great machine. Tomorrow I road test the GS And Triumph explorer. Then I just have to find a Selvio NXT to ride. Narrowing down the short list of candidates.

Redleg 10-02-2012 03:30 PM

Yeah, that Stelvio has received some very good press. If you go on the Motorcycle Consumer News website, there's a good review of it there.

Bone Stockman 10-02-2012 03:53 PM

The Stelvio is a beautiful bike. MGs are rolling works of art.

DaSkip 10-02-2012 05:42 PM

I still want one of these BMW's.

:)

TJ Willy 01-02-2013 12:35 PM

Boy, I'd avoid that bike for a couple of years - That is a lot of stuff to go wrong. I can see some serious garage queens on the used market in a couple years as well. But in the end, that is just too much bike for any real DS riding. And for a dedicated street bike, there are way better choices. As for the weekend camper excuse??? I still prefer camping out of my 'snolive' bagger over my own DS bike.

However, I'll take my F650 Dakar for DS riding still. Less to break... trail side repairs are very manageable. Just got back from an Expedition Awareness trip on it on the Trans Am Trail. And that F650 got really difficult to handle on some of the switchbacks on Engineer and Corkscrew pass in Colorado. The sand in Utah got tricky too. I had some hard falls in dangerous places. Broke stuff. I couldn't imagine dropping that 25k bike much less loaded. Honestly, my bike was too big for some of that stuff taking into account my riding skill. Meaning, I suck too much already to be riding such a big heavy bike over big loose rocks.

F650 Dakar: The bike that was so great, they brought it back virtually unchanged after years out of production. (renamed it Sertao though.....)

Nah... I'm not biased. lol....

Bone Stockman 01-02-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Willy (Post 1300648)
Boy, I'd avoid that bike for a couple of years - That is a lot of stuff to go wrong. I can see some serious garage queens on the used market in a couple years as well. But in the end, that is just too much bike for any real DS riding. And for a dedicated street bike, there are way better choices. As for the weekend camper excuse??? I still prefer camping out of my 'snolive' bagger over my own DS bike.

However, I'll take my F650 Dakar for DS riding still. Less to break... trail side repairs are very manageable. Just got back from an Expedition Awareness trip on it on the Trans Am Trail. And that F650 got really difficult to handle on some of the switchbacks on Engineer and Corkscrew pass in Colorado. The sand in Utah got tricky too. I had some hard falls in dangerous places. Broke stuff. I couldn't imagine dropping that 25k bike much less loaded. Honestly, my bike was too big for some of that stuff taking into account my riding skill. Meaning, I suck too much already to be riding such a big heavy bike over big loose rocks.

F650 Dakar: The bike that was so great, they brought it back virtually unchanged after years out of production. (renamed it Sertao though.....)

Nah... I'm not biased. lol....

The 650 is a big bike for the TA Trail. I really want to try to ride the whole thing, but I'm thinking of something like a DRZ for it.