The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes, Rotors & Calipers (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Rear brake issue (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196658)

BigSwede 07-14-2013 08:41 PM

Rear brake issue

Made a ride to a memorial down in NC last weekend. Bike ran and stopped perfectly. Got home Sunday and parked the bike in the garage. Didn't move it or do anything to it until Thursday. Go out, get on the bike and start out for some chow. Hit the rear brake as I eased down the driveway and the pedal went to the 'floor'. No stopping was had. Tried pumping it, no dice. Rode to dinner anyway since the front was still fine. Friday after work I checked for leaks at all the major junctions, none to be found. Pulled the read caliper, no signs of a leak anywhere. Changed the pads while I had it off, reinstalled and then bled the line. Few big air bubbles came out and a few worked themselves out of the master cylinder as I pumped the pedal. Once I was satisfied there was no more air coming out, buttoned it all up and took it for a ride. All worked well. Yesterday took a ride down to southern Maryland for a shindig and the brakes worked great down and back. Parked the scoot in the garage yesterday afternoon and it sat. This morning, drag it out to take a ride to a party and poof, no read brake again. I'm puzzled.....

What I know....I still need the recall performed as I've never had the rear brake light switch (which doesn't function) replaced.

My current plan is to bleed it again and take it in to get the switch replaced (which means they replace the line and will bleed it themselves).

Any ideas as to what may be causing my issues?

Thanks for the help!

Fe Butte 07-14-2013 09:06 PM

ABS on the bike?

Maybe a "bleed" shuttle valve in the HCU (hydraulic control unit) is hanging in the 'Bleed Off" position?

Thus no pressure is applied to the rear brake, can you pull codes via the odometer trick?:blink:

Geezer-Glide 07-15-2013 08:20 AM

The master cylinder plunger seal is bad. You have to replace it. It's a fairly easy job, BUT..... You MUST bleed the master cylinder PRIOR to reattaching the brake line. I think your scoot uses DOT 4 brake fluid, which means do NOT let it drip on any painted surface. IF it does, wipe immediately.

The cylinder rebuild kit is available from HD, and if I remember it costs like $85 bucks. It's ALMOST more cost effective to buy an new rear master cylinder!

PM me your addy again. I have the master cylinder bleed adapters you'll need.

BigSwede 07-15-2013 07:37 PM

I just came in from checking it out, the switch did have some evidence of a small leak on it. It'll be in the shop tomorrow for the replacement switch and then I'll see about the master cylinder. I'll letcha know once I have it back tomorrow evening.

BluesFan 07-15-2013 08:37 PM

So, next yime you are coming to SOMD let me know.

@$^&#/(*^#^43> 41

Droid Galaxy SIII is pretty nice

Backroad Mike 07-15-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide (Post 1351914)
I think your scoot uses DOT 4 brake fluid, which means do NOT let it drip on any painted surface. IF it does, wipe immediately.

No kidding. When I was bleeding the lines, I spilled a teaspoon of DOT 4 on the table lift top. When I wiped it up, the paint underneath was all clean and no oil stains... I'm thinking about spilling it on the whole top.

:whistling:

BigSwede 07-16-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesFan (Post 1352017)
So, next yime you are coming to SOMD let me know.

@$^&#/(*^#^43> 41

Droid Galaxy SIII is pretty nice

WILCO!

Got the bike back today, and it was clean! They actually washed it!

Brake feels good. Will know after it sits tonight if the issue is gone. I now have brake lights when I hit my rear brake. Hopefully it's all better!

dynageno 07-16-2013 09:42 PM

Hope the problem is solved!

BigSwede 07-20-2013 07:42 AM

Problem solved! Well mostly. Got the bike back the same day I dropped it off. Took it for a spin, I'm pretty sure they did a shitty bleed job because the pedal is mushy. Didn't have time to fix that before my trip this weekend, and I wanted to see if I'd have no feel in the pedal afterward. Still have brakes, although mushy, as they were when I picked it up. Headed out Thursday evening for Augusta and she rode fine the whole way. Nice to have brake lights with the rear pedal again. Will have to bleed them when I find time after I get home.

Thanks y'all!

Bone Stockman 07-20-2013 09:12 AM

Glad they got it.

y2kflhr 07-20-2013 09:14 AM

Did they check your speedometer

Fe Butte 07-20-2013 09:25 AM

Lets just mention here, I saw many a brake light switch recall preformed on Lincoln's and Mercury's.

Not once did I witness the tech doing the job bleed the brakes.

y2kflhr 07-20-2013 10:02 AM

They didn't bleed mine when they did it

BigSwede 07-22-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dippsy (Post 1353018)
Did they check your speedometer

For?

y2kflhr 07-22-2013 07:39 AM

Just kidding
Reference to Russ's bike