The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sturgis (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Pull to the west (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162981)

Berserker 07-20-2009 10:36 AM

Pull to the west

Soon will start seeing the loaded down bikes heading west, while I sit home. I know everyone here is to cool for Sturgis, but I wish I was going this year.

Coming from this part of the country, you start seeing a few loaded down bikes, by the Dells. More and more as you cross MN. By the time you hit Sioux Falls, its bikes roaring everywhere. Then there is that last 400 miles, doing 90mph across the plains, with nothing but bikes on either side of you.

It's a pilgrimage, I was wanting to make for years. Was supposed to go with a guy, who knew a place. He then backed out, as people tend to do. Week before my Dad says to me, I was riding cross country alone at your age. So I packed up and headed out there. 944 miles, in around 14 hours. I was gonna try and find a place to stay in Sioux Falls, but it was only 3pm. So I just kept going.

This part of country doesn't get the bike bike events, five bikes at bar is alot. I hit Sturgis about dusk. Bikes roaring all over, I was like a wide eyed kid, in a candy store.

I still remember some green custom bike. We passed each other many times over hundreds of miles. Young guy with an oil bottle shoved in his handlebars and ball of unrolled sleeping bag or tent bungeed on the back.

Watched a storm on the horizon, something cool to see on the plains, until it hits you. Actually shifted by bike over a couple times. I was getting ready to just put it in the ditch, and wait for someone to help get it out. But the storms move fast out there. By the time I found a place to pull over, it was past. I still got a shouted a few minutes of obsenities. Most holy **** holy ****ing ****.

The next morning I was in the Sidehack having eggs and beer before 8am. It was cold that year, I wasn't prepared, and to cheap to buy winter gloves that I had at home, dumbass. One night dipped below freezing. Had to pile my leathers on top of the sleeping bag to staywarm. Had my jacket on the hole time I was there. Was able to skip the lines to take a shower, since I didn't sweat to much, and got to play dirty biker.

You can go Strugis off rally, but it will be like being in a wild west ghost town, and seeing the images of the past in the shadows, the smell of whisky in the air.

Big Cheese 07-20-2009 11:15 AM

cool story, where's it from?

Dirty Dan 07-20-2009 11:19 AM

There is a fair amount of traffic through La Crosse during Sturgis as we're just off I-90.

Maybe someday.

Maybe not.

Berserker 07-20-2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Cheese (Post 763643)
cool story, where's it from?

The Berserker Chronicles.

bigjailerman 07-20-2009 11:35 AM

on sale at bookstores everywhere...lol

Berserker 07-20-2009 11:37 AM

Bargain bin.

Dirty Dan 07-20-2009 11:40 AM

Private Joker. Thinks he's Mickey Spillane.

Berserker 07-20-2009 11:43 AM

Is that you John Wayne?

griffin 07-20-2009 12:15 PM

you didn't mention anything about mama or trains or trucks or prison or gettin drunk !!

HarleyWood 07-20-2009 12:52 PM

biker types scare me...

Uesque 07-20-2009 01:16 PM

That is one long boring stretch of interstate between Sioux Falls and Rapid City. Although there is the Corn Palace to liven up the trip.

Berserker 07-20-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uesque (Post 763713)
That is one long boring stretch of interstate between Sioux Falls and Rapid City. Although there is the Corn Palace to liven up the trip.

Doesn't really bother me, cause its differant then what I normally see. No corn. Plus I am usually kinda excited to get there and all the bikes. But ya its 400 miles of the same thing. Thats why I don't take state highways. Do you want more of the same thing, for longer?

why_me 07-20-2009 06:24 PM

Don't the Black Hills get boring after a while? Once you've been there...

Berserker 07-20-2009 06:28 PM

Theres alot of there. But yes they do. I just stop over for a day or two, before moving on. Which is what I planned on doing for ES.

But there really is alot more out there then ES.

why_me 07-20-2009 06:30 PM

How long before you're back in the saddle again, Mike? Is the foot doing good?