The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tins, Body Work, & Paint (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Broken Fairing Mount--Redneck Engineering!! (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143418)

LittleBear 06-16-2008 08:14 PM

Broken Fairing Mount--Redneck Engineering!!

So, there I am cruising down the road when I notice the left side of my Batwing vibrating more than normal. The image in left mirror is even a little blurry. Now I know I may have been hung over, but the image in the right side mirror looks fine.
I go into denial. Surely nothing my my trusty iron stead has broken. At the next stop, I grab the left top of the Batwing and give it a little shake. Sure enough, it moves more than normal. Damnit!!
I turn around and head back to the CMI. I am only about 12 miles out so no big deal.
I remove the outer fairing and find the problem. The tab at the top of the left side fairing mount has broken off.
Here is the broken tab after I took it off.
http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/att...1&d=1213663307
Now this bracket is the main mother that is bolted to the front forks and holds on the fairing. Being lazy, I an not going to tear the entire Batwing off the bike to replace this bracket, even if I could find one at Pig Trail HD. I never even called to see, although Big Al could have brought it to me since they were there with Noodles bike. I am not sure you have to take everything off, but that was my initial estimate of the situation and I am sticking to it until I find out otherwise.
I come up with an alternate plan.
I will need a drill, drill bits, 2 "L" brackets and 2 bolts. Off to the CMI office I go, to see if Ray has a drill. But wait, I will also need a ride the hardware store. Out of the corner of my Eye, I spot the AP exiting her room. I ask her if she can give me a ride to the hardware store and, being the sweet lady she is, says it would not be a problem at all.
Well, now that I have a ride, off the office to see about a drill. No Joy. Ray does not have a drill, but he has a friend at a pawn shop that may have one cheap. One quick call, and Ray locates a drill for sale cheap.
Back out to meet the AP and get Ms. Bear so we can go get the drill and parts. We climb into the Caddy and I mention the pawn shop stop for the drill to the AP. The AP was a little hesitant once a pawn shop was mentioned. Not sure what Gray did in the past to warrant the AP's reaction, but she almost seemed skeert to go to the pawn shop but she says okay and off we go.
The AP decides to wait in the car while Ms. Bear and I go in to the pawn shop. They have a $12 electric drill with a keyed chuck and a ratty cord, but it works. Who am I to argue with the price. It came with the key to the chuck so I was doing good.
On the way back, we stop at the hardware store where I get 2 different size drill bits, a four pack of 1 1/2 inch "L" brackets, two 1/4-20x1/2" bolts and nylon lock nuts, and two #10-24x1/2" screws with lock washers and nuts. Total, $9.
After drilling two holes in the fairing bracket and doing a little tweaking on the "L" brackets, this is what I ended up with. Note: Make sure you stuff rags over all the electronic connectors before drilling. It makes a nice metal mess and I see no way to get it all out if you do not catch the filings with a rag.

Since I did one side and Harley's like to break identical parts, I did the right side before it broke.

RedNeck Engineering at its finest. Looks like sh1t, but the Total cost was $21. I left the drill at the CMI for Ray to either fix or take back and pawn again.

I know, Rock would have ridden it to the shop and got it fixed like new, but I do what I can to get me home as cheap as possible. And it got me home just fine.

TJ Willy 06-16-2008 08:15 PM

Excellent!

Geezer-Glide 06-16-2008 08:31 PM

Lookie lookie lookie you you sumbitch!!! That is SWEET!!!!!!! :bowdown: :bowdown:

You do need to pull the clutch cable off, it threads thru the offset of the fairing bracket. If you do not have 3/16" ball allen's you will NOT get the radio screws out. You have to drop your passing lamps, and pull the chrome skirt under the fairing. THEN you can R&R the bracket. Retail at HD is $45.00. You got away for less than half price and will NEVER crack that rat-ass setup again!!!

MOST EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

thrasher 06-16-2008 09:00 PM

There is a lot to be said for being able to fix something only with materials on hand. Excellent.

Half Pint 06-16-2008 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrasher (Post 414493)
There is a lot to be said for being able to fix something only with materials on hand. Excellent.

A regular McGyver, he is!! :bowdown:

Scabbydoo 06-16-2008 09:35 PM

Way to "Rube Goldberg" Paul!

thedog 06-17-2008 06:32 AM

sweet!

dwarthog 06-17-2008 07:06 AM

But did you have a church key to open up a cold beer while you were working on this fix? :Poke:

thrasher 06-17-2008 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwarthog (Post 414997)
But did you have a church key to open up a cold beer while you were working on this fix? :Poke:

I think you know the answer to that one, Don.... :laugh:

Pig of Iron43 06-17-2008 07:22 AM

church key

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

That's why my bike is equipped with this...

BillyB 06-17-2008 10:14 AM

Very cool fix Paul!

thedog 06-17-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pig of Iron43 (Post 415023)

Oh hell yeah! Dat's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

ms_tapestry 06-17-2008 10:25 AM

Now you know why I let him lay hands on Tawanda. . . good job Bear! :Tonya:

Kfengler 06-17-2008 10:48 AM

Before I opened the thread I expected Duct Tape... :roflback:

...I like your fix, most excellent!!!

LittleBear 06-17-2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide (Post 414435)
Lookie lookie lookie you you sumbitch!!! That is SWEET!!!!!!! :bowdown: :bowdown:

You do need to pull the clutch cable off, it threads thru the offset of the fairing bracket. If you do not have 3/16" ball allen's you will NOT get the radio screws out. You have to drop your passing lamps, and pull the chrome skirt under the fairing. THEN you can R&R the bracket. Retail at HD is $45.00. You got away for less than half price and will NEVER crack that rat-ass setup again!!!

MOST EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

Geezer, thanks for the details. I knew I would have to take off a lot of stuff to replace it, now I know just how much time and aggravation I saved.

Quote:

I have my Leatherman, it has an opener, so I was covered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pig of Iron43 (Post 415023)

Most excellent, I got to get one for my inner fairing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kfengler (Post 415229)
Before I opened the thread I expected Duct Tape... :roflback:

...I like your fix, most excellent!!!

Well Duct Tape and Bailing wire was my first thought, but I just could not get it to stop shaking with that fix. Had to upgrade my plan.:roflback: :roflback: