The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Remodeling or Building (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Dehumidifier suggestions and mold removal (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170317)

BigSwede 04-05-2010 08:29 PM

Dehumidifier suggestions and mold removal

We had a dehumidifier that died a while ago, and are in the market for a new one. Since we've not had one, we've had some mold buildup in the basement. What do you fine folks recommend as far as a dehumidifier? What's your best mold eliminator/removal suggestions? Most of the sites I've checked so far are trying to sell me something.

Thanks for your help!

TalonChief 04-05-2010 08:42 PM

I've always used something along the lines of an 80/20 water/bleach solution. We use air conditioners to dehumidify down here. When I lived in MD, we opened the windows and kept quiet about the humidity if we knew what was good for us.

BigSwede 04-05-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalonChief (Post 903150)
I've always used something along the lines of an 80/20 water/bleach solution. We use air conditioners to dehumidify down here. When I lived in MD, we opened the windows and kept quiet about the humidity if we knew what was good for us.

:roflback::roflback:

It gets moist down here in the basement from time to time. We've got AC too, but it's focused more on the main floors of the house.

vafatboy 04-05-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSwede (Post 903141)
We had a dehumidifier that died a while ago, and are in the market for a new one. Since we've not had one, we've had some mold buildup in the basement. What do you fine folks recommend as far as a dehumidifier? What's your best mold eliminator/removal suggestions? Most of the sites I've checked so far are trying to sell me something.

Thanks for your help!

I know somebody in the business that will give me the skinny. I'll call him in the morning and find out. Are we talking concrete/block/drywall/wood etc?

MegaGlide 04-05-2010 09:23 PM

I've used as light as 10:1 bleach.
I just got a new Sears 70 pt to replace the way energy inefficient 35pt I can't remember the make of.
I can let you know end of the summer.

BigSwede 04-05-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafatboy (Post 903158)
I know somebody in the business that will give me the skinny. I'll call him in the morning and find out. Are we talking concrete/block/drywall/wood etc?

Block walls in my basement. I'm guessing as mentioned by the others a mix of bleach/water will work. I'll also check at the 'Depot for any special chemicals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaGlide (Post 903165)
I've used as light as 10:1 bleach.
I just got a new Sears 70 pt to replace the way energy inefficient 35pt I can't remember the make of.
I can let you know end of the summer.

MegaGlide 04-05-2010 09:36 PM

Nothing is cheaper than bleachwater, and at 10:1 it didn't hurt the knotty pine in my shop.

route66paul 04-05-2010 10:16 PM

We need to add water to the air around here.

Parks 04-06-2010 08:42 AM

We had a professional Mold Abatement company come into our office due to mold. Guess what they used.....

....bleachwater. Not sure of the mixing ratio, but my guess was not much higher than 80/20. Consider TSP for really stubborn stains.

J.A.F.O. 04-06-2010 08:45 AM

Buy the cheapest dehumidifier you can...They are basically just undersized a/c units.

Parks 04-06-2010 09:03 AM

get one with a decent capacity. Wife bought a new one with a smaller bucket...more frequent emptying...no es bueno.

thrasher 04-06-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by route66paul (Post 903193)
We need to add water to the air around here.

Swamp cooler. Just sayin'

Scabbydoo 04-06-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSwede (Post 903141)
We had a dehumidifier that died a while ago, and are in the market for a new one....

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.A.F.O. (Post 903400)
Buy the cheapest dehumidifier you can...They are basically just undersized a/c units.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parks (Post 903417)
get one with a decent capacity. Wife bought a new one with a smaller bucket...more frequent emptying...no es bueno.

Got a DeLonghi last year from COSTCO. Wasn't the most expensive but wasn't the cheapest either. Main reason I selected it was where I needed to place it does not have an easily accessible floor drain to run a hose to and I don't like checking and emptying the bucket all the time. This unit has a pump that can pump the water "up hill" into a sink or other drain pipe. So far it has worked very well.

As for the mold, yep, bleach and water mix. When I worked for Alcoa, we recommended a "1 part/4 parts" or 20%/80% mix of bleach and water to clean mold and mildew off of aluminum siding.

thrasher 04-06-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaGlide (Post 903176)
Nothing is cheaper than bleachwater, and at 10:1 it didn't hurt the knotty pine in my shop.

Bleachwater works great for sanitizing things and removing anything alive (including mold, mildew, etc). I use it when cleaning up boats, ice chests, fish boxes, fishing equipment, etc that has been in contact with fish stuff or saltwater. Also use it to kill algae from landscaping rocks. Got to be careful with it, though, use rubber gloves, not to overspray or spill it, and you do want to rinse whatever you are cleaning down afterwards if the bleach concentration is significant. 10:1 probably isn't high enough to warrant rinsing down afterwards.

vafatboy 04-06-2010 06:32 PM

My buddy said that the bleach will obviously do the job. Residue is the issue for pets and kids and stuff. He said that a product called shockwave is good.

http://www.fiberlock.com/products/8316.html