The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oil & Lubrication (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Dimple Drain Plugs (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210431)

Infidel! 12-09-2019 12:41 PM

Dimple Drain Plugs

For the last couple of years my Road King has suffered from an oil drip. Not like puddles on the garage floor, but a slow drip none the less, which has really annoyed me. Finally about 6 months ago I bought a UV flashlight and some dye. Ran the dye through a couple of days and viola, the leak is coming from my drain plug. Ok, no problem, replace the o ring and tighten.

Still dripping.

Googling this I find I'm not alone. Some suggest copper washers, others suggest Teflon tape on the threads, and various other imaginative solutions. I really don't want Teflon tape particles floating around inside the engine plugging things up. And besides, a drain plug with an o-ring shouldn't leak.

Then I stumbled across http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/Dimple Drain Plugs. They supposedly have the world's most powerful magnetic oil plugs. What interested me more was that they are self sealing. They have an o-ring, but it's secondary. The sealing feature is a 15 degree taper, which allows you to replace the plug without worrying about the o-ring.

When it arrived, I had to test out the magnet. It was STRONG! It stuck to everything, right through the plastic bag. I took it out of the bag, and was able to lift an iron bacon press with it. THAT was impressive! I had a ton of fun playing with the magnet before I put it in the bike. After installing in the bike, the oil drip disappeared. Apparently that "Super Seal" technology really works.

I a happy customer so far. It will be interesting to see what it pulls out of the oil next oil change.

Here are some videos about them

Turbo Turtle 12-09-2019 02:14 PM

That’s cool :coffee:

BOB

Fe Butte 12-09-2019 02:42 PM

Sounds like something that works better than stock plug and a bonus magnet that really works.

I have always wondered why the stock o-ring is all torn up when you remove it, I would love to see what the sealing taper in the hole looks like.

( yeah . . I'm not pulling the pan to get up close to it)

But a good smooth tapered seat the o-ring contacts shouldn't tear it up that much. And I use liberal amounts of clean oil and /or petroleum jelly.

(In fact I liberally lube the threads and o-ring on my filter housing on the Toyota's I change oil on so the housing isn't so tough to take off the block)

Is it this one?:blink: For the engine oil drain... (2015 Twin cam / Rushmore Limited)

>>> SS1/2″x20x1/2″ Magnetic Drain Plug for Harley Davidson
Fits 1980's-up Big Twin Oil Tanks & Transmission 2007-up Big Twin Primary Cover

vafatboy 12-09-2019 08:17 PM

Cool product.

I started using a teflon thread sealant on my drain plugs and don’t tighten them to the point of tearing up the o-ring.

Backroad Mike 12-09-2019 09:23 PM

Damn, they're more proud of them than a Harley Dealer.

Glad my drain plug isn't leaking...

I did recently have a leak with my inner primary seal. Don't think I spent $35.00 on gasket, seal and primary fluid.

Fe Butte 12-11-2019 08:26 AM

The Rushmore o-ring tears just past hand tight.

All I can figure is there is a rough surface or burr on the mating face in the pan.

I guess I'm lucky that it hasn't fallen out on my rides, because there is no effort required to loosen it upon changing the oil.

And yes I've used "Ford" teflon past on the threads and that works well.

Infidel! 12-11-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fe Butte (Post 1522183)
Sounds like something that works better than stock plug and a bonus magnet that really works.

I have always wondered why the stock o-ring is all torn up when you remove it, I would love to see what the sealing taper in the hole looks like.

( yeah . . I'm not pulling the pan to get up close to it)

But a good smooth tapered seat the o-ring contacts shouldn't tear it up that much. And I use liberal amounts of clean oil and /or petroleum jelly.

(In fact I liberally lube the threads and o-ring on my filter housing on the Toyota's I change oil on so the housing isn't so tough to take off the block)

Is it this one?:blink: For the engine oil drain... (2015 Twin cam / Rushmore Limited)

>>> SS1/2″x20x1/2″ Magnetic Drain Plug for Harley Davidson
Fits 1980's-up Big Twin Oil Tanks & Transmission 2007-up Big Twin Primary Cover

That's the one
Quote:

Originally Posted by Backroad Mike (Post 1522185)
Damn, they're more proud of them than a Harley Dealer.

Glad my drain plug isn't leaking...

I did recently have a leak with my inner primary seal. Don't think I spent $35.00 on gasket, seal and primary fluid.

$35 fixed it.

Me happy

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fe Butte 12-11-2019 11:36 PM

Thanks...

From one that also uses SS oil filters as a worry wart upgrade.:whistli