The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dealer (MoCo or Indy) Feedback (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Uke's H-D, Kenosha, WI (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201325)

orbit 07-27-2014 07:21 AM

Uke's H-D, Kenosha, WI

I live pretty close to three H-D dealers and have been giving each a little business, tryin' 'em out for parts purchases and little service jobs.

Lake Shore Harley is the most convenient for me, as their shop is right in front of where I work. However, I've become slightly dissatisfied with their service dept. since they repaired the 'b' after last year's wreck. I was really unhappy with them after the ignition switch replacement difficulties, which started with a wrong switch ordered, then an overnight shipment of the correct replacement and install a day prior to leaving for this years Nat'l Doofapalooza.

The dealer I've decided to spend more money at is Uke's in Kenosha. I've had the 'b' up there more than several times to take advantage of their Sat. morning service deal. I've had 'em do rear wheel bearings, front brakes and they installed the security system on the 'b', all within the last year. Each time I've been treated well and the bike has come back to me repaired correctly.

All that stuff were little tests, tho.

The 'b' was in need of a tune. The after-break-in tune the 'b' received at Hoban's was not a good one, and I wasn't gonna run the 'b' up there to get it taken care of. Don't get me wrong, Hoban's built a fine motor. The kids runnin' the dyno on Saturdays, however, just ain't much good.

Without a doubt, the top tuner in Chicagoland is Jim Egizio at Illinois Harley, down in Countryside. He tuned the 'b' when she was an 88, and that motor ran flawlessly.

However, Jim is super busy, as am I. His Saturdays are booked, and Saturday is the only day I can run down there. So a tune by Jim was out of the question.

I had talked to both Kory at Lake Shore and Jeff at Uke's regarding tuning the 'b'. Kory gave me the standard, 'we got a great dyno' spiel. Jeff told me he's got two good tuners and then explained how they tune the bike: We tune it for power, then adjust it for economy.

Jeff told me what I wanted to hear. I made an appointment with Uke's for a tune.

I could tell, the moment I lit the b's candle, that the motor had been tweaked in a good way. The exhaust note sounded completely different. Hard to describe, she just sounded better.

The ride home showed smoother overall running, better throttle response, and a total absence of decel pop.

On paper, 2 more horse, 3 more lbs. ft of torque were found, compared to the original 95" Hoban tune.

The big test, however, was last weeks GBNF ride. The 'b' was run through her paces and ran flawlessly. The big surprise, tho, was the fuel economy. We tore it up pretty good in SW Wisconnie, similar to how we rode at Eureka Springs. The style of roads between the two places are very similar, with ES only having slightly higher hills.

The 'b' showed a 2 mpg improvement over ES. I actually averaged 39.4 mpg on the Wisconnie trip, compared to 37.5 for ES, and that average includes the 1340 expressway miles to and back.

To say I'm pleased is an understatement. The 'b' is fun to ride again!

Rather than make a complimentary phone call, I actually rode the 'b' up to Uke's on Monday, after work, and shook Jeff's hand and told him how pleased I was with the tune. The b's tuner, James, was off that day, so I told Jeff to tell him that I was happy as well.

I rarely, if ever, write a glowing review of services received. Consider this one of those rare instances.

If you're ever in the Kenosha area and your scoot needs attention, be sure to give Uke's a try. They'll treat you right.

:DD

Fe Butte 07-27-2014 08:11 AM

Sounds like a really good dealer.

Do they have a customer atta boy comment section on their web site?

d j 07-27-2014 08:22 AM

Love Story!

orbit 07-27-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fe Butte (Post 1419274)
Sounds like a really good dealer.

Do they have a customer atta boy comment section on their web site?

Just checked. Sadly, no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by d j (Post 1419277)
Love Story!

Not much unlike your glowing, less wordy, review of Zylstra H-D, Ames, IA.

:roflback:

Sidebar: Big Cheese thought he was doing quite well keeping up with me on the ride to Viroqua last weekend.

He was hustlin' ol' Beulah pretty good. A fairly spirited ride we enjoyed, for sure!

'But,' I said, 'I could hear you comin'. So I'd just dip into the throttle like 1/32rd more and just walk away.'

Mess with him, I did!

A good laugh was had by all!

d j 07-27-2014 09:38 AM

Wordy:roflback::roflback::roflback:

orbit 07-27-2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d j (Post 1419289)
Wordy:roflback::roflback::roflback:

Verbosity has it's merits, you know.......

d j 07-27-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orbit (Post 1419295)
Verbosity has it's merits, you know.......

Oh don't I know. That's why I wear out the battery in the Sena every ride with ya. Gabbing away and not paying attention to the next curve!:whistling:

orbit 07-27-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d j (Post 1419297)
Oh don't I know. That's why I wear out the battery in the Sena every ride with ya. Gabbing away and not paying attention to the next curve!:whistling:

Yeah, yer a chatterbox. The battery in my Sena lasts two days, riding with you........

Yer play-by-plays of impending road doom are well worth the listen, tho.

'Head Up!', 'Look through the curve!', and 'Squeeze the tank!'

....are all classics...

Ain't heard much ravin' about the Madstad lately, tho.

What's up with that?

Big Cheese 07-27-2014 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sigh....

I thought it was a handful of throttle.
Ol Beulah was huffin and puffin and I just gave her the reigns. She was a Stage 1 fire breathing dragon. I was so proud!
For a minute, till the rug got yanked by that Hoban 95 build on the "B".
Deflated I was. Beulah threw the bit and the PCIII started acting up. She's dying occasionally at the stop signs. I have to dig in deeper to see what's up.

I hope to restore her 88 inch stage 1 pride. She's a dragon ya know.

d j 07-27-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Cheese (Post 1419308)
Sigh....

Ol Beulah was huffin and puffin and I just gave her the reigns. She was a Stage 1 fire breathing dragon. I was so proud!
Deflated I was. Beulah threw the bit and the PCIII started acting up. She's dying occasionally at the stop signs. I have to dig in deeper to see what's up.

Like!

d j 07-27-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orbit (Post 1419301)
Yeah, yer a chatterbox. The battery in my Sena lasts two days, riding with you........

Yer play-by-plays of impending road doom are well worth the listen, tho.

'Head Up!', 'Look through the curve!', and 'Squeeze the tank!'

....are all classics...

Ain't heard much ravin' about the Madstad lately, tho.

What's up with that?

Yesterdays' news..

Now we need to discuss color matched lowers and their benefits.:sofa:

orbit 07-27-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d j (Post 1419324)
Now we need to discuss color matched lowers and their benefits.:sofa:

All I can say is that your Ultra Standard is shaping up nicely.......

:whistling:

d j 07-27-2014 04:11 PM

Just takes time. Almost a decade at a time.:roflback:

Big Cheese 07-27-2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d j (Post 1419352)
Just takes time. Almost a decade at a time.:roflback:

Now Travler and Milo are color matched too!

Fe Butte 07-27-2014 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Cheese (Post 1419308)
Sigh....

You need to tune write the map...

And you don't need to hide it in the saddle bag when you take it in to the dealer for work...:whistling: