The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Test Rides and Reviews (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   2009 Victory Vision (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164347)

OKC Fatboy 09-04-2009 07:40 PM

2009 Victory Vision

Alright, here's the story. You either like the looks of this bike, or you hate it. When I saw one at Sturgis in 2007, I thought "why?". The styling was more Japanese, with a V-twin engine? I thought Arlen Ness must have developed dementia or Alzheimer's and forgot what a V-twin tourer is supposed to look like...

I was wrong.

Since I am waiting on the SE Ultra, I have been test riding various bikes that look intriguing. I went down to the Victory dealership to check out this bike. Turns out the owner of the dealership, who has been a Gold Wing rider for 15 years, owns one. Sold his Gold Wing and he is not going back! Got a DVD and book on the bike and went home. That's when I discovered that this bike looks interesting:

An air-cooled V-twin 106" engine that has oil-cooled heads, DOHC 4 valve per cylinder technology. It's pretty, but it doesn't have pushrods. V twin sound, smooth power. 92 HP, 109 TQ, STOCK. This engine is much more powerful than a stock Harley, and puts out stock what you are going to have to spend 5,000 dollars to make your stock Harley engine compete with it.

The rigid aluminum cast frame serves as the air intake. Can you say ram-air intake? It is high tech, stable, and did I mention rigid? The gas tanks are mounted just above the front wheel. Lower center of gravity, more weight over the front wheel for efficient braking, no sloshing due to baffles in the tank. Very clever. The bars are more comfortable than my Ultra with the Wild 1 bars on it. The riding position is perfect for me on a stock bike. The standard seat is comfortable, 4 inches of foam, made by Corbin. Did I mention Corbin standard seat?

The seat height is about 26 inches. The bike handles better than anything I have ever ridden. It feels like a 500 lb bike even though it weighs 900 lbs! It's easy to throw a leg over, and at 5'10", it feels like it was MADE FOR ME! It will get after it when you nail the throttle! It has ipod intergration, 4 speaker 80 Watt stereo system, a simple to get into saddlebag system (they could be a little bigger, imho), and a tour pack that comes off in minutes with 4 bolts!

A lot of people think it looks ugly. So did I. But after you ride it, you realize this bike is a tour bike that handles like a pro street. And after you look at it a while, it does start to look pretty cool.

The bike has floating disc rotors, a linked breaking system, and stops on a dime. It is superior to the Ultra in handling hands down. I really don't like the conventional turn signals, slightly quirky mirrors, and the horn placement, but that's it. This is a great bike! I've never had more fun on a touring bike! I'm seriously considering buying one.

I can't believe I just typed that last sentence...

Discuss...
:sofa:

Bob

Q-Dog 09-04-2009 08:12 PM

I am a fan.

I voted Road Glide this year.
...but I am a fan!

:coffee:

sofa king 09-04-2009 08:33 PM

I say buy what ya want! I'm like you, they look a little odd at first sight, but the more you see them the more they grow on you. An they seem to have a lot of technology behind them and the comfort that the rest of us are searching for on out ultras.

Oh yea Chip will hum the Jetsons theme every time he sees you on the flying V

Backroad Mike 09-04-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sofa king (Post 790941)

:roflback::roflback:

He's not alone. :whistling:

mongoose 09-04-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sofa king (Post 790941)
I say buy what ya want! I'm like you, they look a little odd at first sight, but the more you see them the more they grow on you. An they seem to have a lot of technology behind them and the comfort that the rest of us are searching for on out ultras.

I've seen two, ever. And one of them was a promo at bike night last year.

I think most people can't get past the styling.

Highmiles 09-04-2009 09:52 PM

Do you dress like a BMW rider to ride it?

APDBagger 09-04-2009 10:03 PM

I saw one today on Skyline Drive. Every time I see one, makes me do a double take as I think, "what the hell.........................."

Thorns 09-04-2009 10:08 PM

Ok Bob, if you walked into a strip joint, you'd be riding a redhead. :roflback: SE Ultra.....lots of money...but, probably one of the coolest bike on the planet, built by two guys who care....Harley dealer every 100 miles, and remember you have the money, and it "is" a SE Ultra. Victory Vision....new kid on the block with a "buffalo" look...no dealer on the road you're traveling on, saddle bags suck, big engine, but where is the torque curve down low?...Victory dealer not open on Sundays, and you'll be riding just "another" Victory Vision. Go ahead buy it, you'll ride the Fatboy more now...:Poke::roflback: (Just kidding you Bob...:outtahere:)

Thorns

SafetyMan 09-04-2009 10:14 PM

DAAdat da-daaaaa....

Jared, K ren and I rode with 2 of them a few weeks ago.

I've got nothing at all against an American made motorcycle.

:coffee:

Bone Stockman 09-04-2009 10:58 PM

I can't get past the styling, though the new Cross Country looks good.

hornrocker 09-05-2009 07:37 AM

My buddy has one, I've ridden it.... He LOVES it, me not as much.....

http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/att...1&d=1210529258

d j 09-05-2009 08:04 AM

FUGLY. Sorry man.:whistling:

OKC Fatboy 09-05-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorns (Post 790992)
Ok Bob, if you walked into a strip joint, you'd be riding a redhead. :roflback: SE Ultra.....lots of money...but, probably one of the coolest bike on the planet, built by two guys who care....Harley dealer every 100 miles, and remember you have the money, and it "is" a SE Ultra. Victory Vision....new kid on the block with a "buffalo" look...no dealer on the road you're traveling on, saddle bags suck, big engine, but where is the torque curve down low?...Victory dealer not open on Sundays, and you'll be riding just "another" Victory Vision. Go ahead buy it, you'll ride the Fatboy more now...:Poke::roflback: (Just kidding you Bob...:outtahere:)

Thorns

Thorns, you are exactly right. I am really perplexed. I was shocked by how well this bike rides. I have a deposit down on a 2010 CVO Ultra. I think I'm gonna test ride the 2010 Ultra Classic before I make a decision, since the 09s and up have the new frame.

I have a lot more respect for that Victory now than I did before I rode it. It is WAY FUN!!!!!!

OKC Fatboy 09-05-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d j (Post 791100)
FUGLY. Sorry man.:whistling:

No need to be sorry, it is definitely "out there" in terms of looks. What's funny is I used to think it looked like a joke, but now I actually am starting to like the look. If you don't like the look, don't test ride one. Because I bet you'll like how it rides. I've never seen a tourer handle like this bike. It would eat up the twisties.

Oh, BTW, it comes with Dunlop E3's STOCK...

Bone Stockman 09-05-2009 09:05 AM

I just want to see you throw it on the ground. Supposedly, they're "drop proof".