The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Remodeling or Building (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Guest room will now be a nursery (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201355)

Boston Keith 07-29-2014 09:34 PM

Guest room will now be a nursery

I am going to turn our guest room into our second baby's room (expected to arrive in January). I would like to take a poll as to if i should cover the ceiling with 1/4" dry wall or if i should rip off the existing drywall and put up new drywall?

Before you answer, the ceiling has a textured knock down plaster finish, which i hate. I want to make it smooth. Also there is some surface mounted wire molding that i would like to rework so it is in the ceiling. I guess the way i see it right now is i have to put up dry wall in both cases so why not do it right and take down the old drywall.

What do you all think

Thanks

Jackwagon 07-29-2014 09:36 PM

Take down the old. 1/4" drywall will sag if on the ceiling and look like hell.

Margarita 07-29-2014 09:41 PM

New baby? Congratulations! I suggest replacing the drywall with something you can periodically turn the hose on. :whistling:

BluesFan 07-29-2014 10:02 PM

I have often thought of SS walls and tile floors with washdown drains

Dinero 07-29-2014 11:43 PM

Empty the room. Tape plastic over the door. Tear it off and do it right.

It's a lot of work and a big mess.

Good luck.

SafetyMan 07-29-2014 11:47 PM

Any job, big or small...

Do it RIGHT, or not at all.

:thumbsup:

DAK47 07-30-2014 12:22 AM

More than one way to skin a cat.... I did our entire upper floor from stipple ceiling to smooth quite easily with a minimum of mess.
Firstly it was a upper so attic ceiling and that made my choice easy, Z bar tracks, scraped the stipple along the track lines, strapped it with the Z bar and then hung 1/2" board. The electrical lighting I converted all to pot lights, but you can get 1, 1.5, or 2.25" extensions for any box out there. The Z bar can be trimmed to go around any surface wiremold. You come down a total of 1"... My reno is in it's 6th year and looks as good as the day it got the finish paint coat. Nothing beats a smooth ceiling and you don't need to have a huge insulation & drywall mess to make it happen....

Dirk

Backroad Mike 07-30-2014 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAK47 (Post 1419684)
. Nothing beats a smooth ceiling and you don't need to have a huge insulation & drywall mess to make it happen....

Dirk

What Dirk says about the insulation is something to consider. As you stated this is the ceiling. Is there insulation laying on the drywall above? If so, is it batted, blown or something else. Will it all come down if the drywall is removed? How old is the house? Could the insulation have asbestos in it? All things to consider before you charge ahead.

I like Dirks fix. Minimal mess and hopefully the method encapsulates the electrical wires so they don't become an electrical hazard down the road when installing screws/nails. Might need to check the local code and see if it's authorized in your area.

Boston Keith 07-30-2014 05:24 AM

Thanks Mike and Dirk,
I will consider these and let everyone know what I do

Sleeveless 07-30-2014 11:07 AM

Congrats on the upcoming addition, post pictures when he/she arrives.

Boston Keith 07-30-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeveless (Post 1419714)
Congrats on the upcoming addition, post pictures when he/she arrives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margarita (Post 1419677)
New baby? Congratulations! I suggest replacing the drywall with something you can periodically turn the hose on. :whistling:

Thanks! We are very excited or is that just all the coffee I am drinking

MrSurly 07-30-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAK47 (Post 1419684)
Z bar tracks, scraped the stipple along the track lines, strapped it with the Z bar and then hung 1/2" board.
don't need to have a huge insulation & drywall mess to make it happen....

Dirk

Please be specific as to "board"....that's not drywall?

DAK47 07-30-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSurly (Post 1419728)
Please be specific as to "board"....that's not drywall?

Northern terminology I guess, board, sheetrock, gypsum, drywall, the pia stuff no one wants to deal with, but still drywall. :DD

Dirk

yolkum 07-30-2014 03:52 PM

Hey congrats on the up coming addition to the family. :woohoo:

Yeah I'd definitely check to see how it's insulated.
If it's a two story home and this room is on the first floor I wouldn't worry much, but otherwise I'd hit the attic and give it a good look. That old blown crap will suck if you gut the ceiling and insulation costs are a pisser these days to have to replace it. :whistling:

lil Pistolero DPH 07-30-2014 05:05 PM

Congratulatuons!