The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   MotoCamping (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   2019 Motorcycle Camping Trips (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209890)

Ken R 04-06-2019 08:46 PM

2019 Motorcycle Camping Trips

TRIPS! Plural! Life is too short to limit our years to only one trip.

Possible April or early May: Big Bend National Park (one week)
July 14th through 28th, Yellowstone and Grand Teton (two weeks)
September 8th - 14th Rocky Mountain National Park for the elk rut (1 week)

Really excited about all three.

Ken

Sleeveless 04-07-2019 06:47 AM

Sounds awesome!

Dinero 04-07-2019 10:42 AM

Swing into Ingram and say "Hi" the first weekend in May.

Backroad Mike 04-07-2019 11:14 AM

Have a great trip.

We don't sleep on the ground anymore.

Mountainkowboy 04-07-2019 11:23 AM

Sounds like fun, we would need to pull a popup behind though. No sleepy on ground anymore.

Scabbydoo 04-08-2019 12:05 AM

Sounds like a good time...

all but the "camping" part. Camping for me these days is settling for a Motel 6. :SD2

Infidel! 04-09-2019 09:26 PM

It's always a blast. An air mattress helps smooth out the rocks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ken R 05-24-2019 10:16 PM

Yeah, and we have cots and self-inflating pads on which to sleep. They're as comfortable as my bed at home.

Ken R 05-24-2019 10:25 PM

I have reserved 3 campsites in Rocky Mountain National Park in the Moraine Park campground for August 8th through the 13th. They'll hold 6 people (2 each). So far, only two of of us are 100% confirmed. Have space for four more if someone would like to try motorcycle tent camping. Billy? This would be a good break-in trip for you.

We're not going to go out and ride every day. We will ride to get to where we need to go (Grand Lake for lunch, Bear Lake for hiking, etc.) and there are a few 50 mile rides I want to do. If anyone wants to ride instead of hike, great! I'm doin' some hiking and wildlife searching as well as riding.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll give the details.

The first day is a somewhat long ride from Dallas. We'll make Trinidad for the night at the Holiday Inn. Next day is only about 6 hours of riding to get to our campsite.

OH, and Cloud Riding? This is the ultimate to be riding above the clouds at 12,000 feet! Bring a jacket.

Ken

MrSurly 05-31-2019 09:32 AM

Sounds intriguing! I don't plan to retire in time, though!

Margarita 05-31-2019 10:47 AM

Colorado 14 going east out of Walden is a nice ride.

Ken R 06-12-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSurly (Post 1518542)
Sounds intriguing! I don't plan to retire in time, though!

You don't have to retire to join us, Ricky. Just play hooky for a week for the elk run RMNP trip in September.

Fe Butte 06-12-2019 03:41 PM

I had to get rid of my camping gear when we were downsized in living quarters.

Ken R 08-11-2019 10:28 PM

We returned from our Yellowstone and Teton camping trip. FABULOUS! What a great time.

Heading out for Rocky Mountain National Park on September 7th from Dallas. Everyone is welcome to join us. We have campsites at the Estes Park Campground, East Portal. Or, stay in a hotel downtown. Lots of motorcycle riding, eating, hiking (if you like), elk and moose watching, etc. Let me know if interested. 6 nights there . . . and then it's over.

Dan and I will post pictures of Yellowstone soon.

Ken

Ken R 08-15-2019 04:28 PM

I've changed the campground from Moraine Park Campground to Estes Park Campground at East Portal. https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/evr...nd-east-portal

This campground is in a secluded quiet area, but just 2 miles from restaurants and 5 from downtown Estes Park. It has showers! (That's the reason for the change of campgrounds).

Really, if anyone would like to experience Rocky Mountain National Park by motorcycle, they're welcome to join us. You don't even have to camp; there are hotels in town. We're leaving Dallas on September 7th, meeting in Decatur at 9AM at the Shell Station on US 380.

We're planning wildlife watching (this is during the elk and moose rut season), walking trails to some of the alpine lakes, riding in Devil's Gulch, St Vrain Canyon, and over Trail Ridge Road to eat lunch in Grand Lake . . . or anything else you'd like to do. On Trail Ridge Road, we might even ride above the clouds. It happens.
Everyone doesn't have to do everything our core group does. You don't even have to ride up with us or stay the entire time. It's just going to be a good time away from the city to live with the elk, moose, fox, bears, etc.

We'll be there for 6 nights. Leaving the DFW area on Saturday morning and spending the first night at the Holiday Inn, Trinidad. Next day is a much shorter day to Estes Park and our campground. Would love for others to join us (camping or not). I've spent many weeks/months in the Estes Park area since childhood and know all the best places to eat and best places for wildlife watching.

Our last evening there, I have made reservations at the Twin Owls Steakhouse. It's fabulous and not too terribly expensive. Plan on about $55 per person.

https://www.twinowls.net/

For the trip home, I'm planning to take the Peak to Peak down to Interstate 70 and then right turn to Georgetown and Guanella Pass. This is a mountain pass like no other. I think it's the best motorcycle mountain pass in all of Colorado (and I've been over most of them).

No better time to enjoy your motorcycle and friends in ways that maybe you've never done. Would be great if some would join us.

Ken