The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Southwest (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The GSCT (that's Great Southwest Camping Trip for all you d00fs) (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201132)

Infidel! 07-11-2014 03:52 PM

Lunch! FINALLY!

In Durango at the Old Tymer's Cafe

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/12/yjuharyd.jpg

Fe Butte 07-11-2014 04:52 PM

Durango is the place! Don't miss Durango brewery!

griffin 07-11-2014 06:25 PM

Handlebars in silverton !

Redleg 07-12-2014 07:27 AM

More good times well earned. Keep 'em coming!

Infidel! 07-12-2014 12:02 PM

Are at the Brown Bear in Silverton lady night, then went to the campsite and built a huge fire. It was cold and rainy, so the fire felt good. The night was stormy, with thunder, lightening and rain all night. This morning was 45 degrees when we woke up. The reason cleared out and it was gorgeous, even if a bit cold. A view from our campsite:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/13/utupuba4.jpg

Today we begin the journey home. So it's off to Tucumcari but not before we meet Crazy Ed at Durango HD.

Infidel! 07-15-2014 11:11 PM

Well, the ride ended on a bad note. While riding home, on 287 just south of Amarillo, my friend Mike and I were riding side-by-side while Ken and George were in front. I wanted something in my pocket and was having trouble with the zipper, so I backed off. A moment later I smelled something and thought the truck we were about to pass had a stuck brake or something. Then I noticed Mike suddenly start fishtailing. Speed limit is 75, and we were trucking along at 80. I backed off a little more and he fought the fishtailing, but it just got progressively more violent. He tried to get over to the right lane and finally did just before he went down. All I could do was watch as he hit the ground and rolled for a good 75-100 feet. His bike slid and flipped off the side of the road spilling all it's contents everywhere. I knew he was going to be seriously injured. I checked my mirrors and there were two pickups that had stopped and were blocking both lanes. As I pulled my bike up along side Mike - HE SAT UP! I told him not to move until we could check things for him. After a good 10 minutes, the drivers of the trucks and I helped him to his feet and he walked to the side of the road. All he complained about was his left hand.

911 was called and the police, fire and ambulance showed up quickly. They checked him out and he was fine, except for a sore hand. His mesh jacket with armor was in tatters as were his gloves, but he was fine. It was a miracle. Truly. The bike looks totaled. We made arrangements for it to be towed and we regrouped at the Dairy Queen in Clarendon and a couple offered to drive him to the Amarillo airport so he could take a plane home. He went to a doctor yesterday who confirmed no broken bones, no road rash, just some bumps and bruises. Incredible!

If I was beside him when his rear tire blew there is no doubt that we would have collided and probably both be dead. I think I'm done with riding tandem.

In between the shaky start and the rocky end it was a great trip. I am still tired.

Fe Butte 07-15-2014 11:18 PM

Just Wow!

Glad to hear that he's pretty much OK.

Sorry about this happening.

Dinero 07-15-2014 11:33 PM

Glad Mike is okay.

You really go out of your way to have a good time, don't you?

Backroad Mike 07-16-2014 01:43 AM

Amazing, glad that was the extend of his injuries.

Redleg 07-16-2014 05:48 AM

Glad the gear did what it was designed for and protected your friend from injury.

Big Cheese 07-16-2014 07:58 PM

Glad Mike is ok.
Glad you are too.

MrSurly 07-16-2014 10:27 PM

Dammit! I hope Mike is truly OK!
More detail, please!
Was he wearing a helmet?
Did it get beat up?
Was his tire well worn?
What kind of bike did he ride?
Did he run over anything on the trip?
And most of all, where are the dadgum pitchers?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stupidglide 07-17-2014 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infidel! (Post 1417883)
Well, the ride ended on a bad note. While riding home, on 287 just south of Amarillo, my friend Mike and I were riding side-by-side while Ken and George were in front. I wanted something in my pocket and was having trouble with the zipper, so I backed off. A moment later I smelled something and thought the truck we were about to pass had a stuck brake or something. Then I noticed Mike suddenly start fishtailing. Speed limit is 75, and we were trucking along at 80. I backed off a little more and he fought the fishtailing, but it just got progressively more violent. He tried to get over to the right lane and finally did just before he went down. All I could do was watch as he hit the ground and rolled for a good 75-100 feet. His bike slid and flipped off the side of the road spilling all it's contents everywhere. I knew he was going to be seriously injured. I checked my mirrors and there were two pickups that had stopped and were blocking both lanes. As I pulled my bike up along side Mike - HE SAT UP! I told him not to move until we could check things for him. After a good 10 minutes, the drivers of the trucks and I helped him to his feet and he walked to the side of the road. All he complained about was his left hand.

911 was called and the police, fire and ambulance showed up quickly. They checked him out and he was fine, except for a sore hand. His mesh jacket with armor was in tatters as were his gloves, but he was fine. It was a miracle. Truly. The bike looks totaled. We made arrangements for it to be towed and we regrouped at the Dairy Queen in Clarendon and a couple offered to drive him to the Amarillo airport so he could take a plane home. He went to a doctor yesterday who confirmed no broken bones, no road rash, just some bumps and bruises. Incredible!

If I was beside him when his rear tire blew there is no doubt that we would have collided and probably both be dead. I think I'm done with riding tandem.

In between the shaky start and the rocky end it was a great trip. I am still tired.

And this is why we dress like spacemen on long rides, and try to stay alert and aware of our surroundings............... Safety first, 'cause injuries last.

Glad everyone is ok, and on the whole, your trip was great!
And yes.......... Piccies please!

Redleg 07-17-2014 07:40 AM

And more details on your experiences with the Sena devices!

squish 07-17-2014 08:42 AM

WOW! Glad he's Ok.