The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Accessories (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Loading ramps? (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173620)

Bone Stockman 08-07-2010 10:32 AM

Loading ramps?

What works and what doesn't? I need something I can load either bike into the truck, and that'll fold up to fit into the bed. Will the tailgate support over a thousand pounds of ramp, bike, and me?

TalonChief 08-07-2010 10:40 AM

I have a set of aluminum ramps from tractor supply. They get the job done.
Sent from somewhere

y2kflhr 08-07-2010 10:48 AM

black or chrome?

BigTOE 08-07-2010 10:50 AM

U-haul bike trailer is $15 a day for the rare occasion you need it. Do you really wanna take a chance trying to get them in the back of the truck?

dynageno 08-07-2010 10:59 AM

Try Here

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcy...FQ8ObAodXF535g

Bone Stockman 08-07-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTOE (Post 967247)
U-haul bike trailer is $15 a day for the rare occasion you need it. Do you really wanna take a chance trying to get them in the back of the truck?

It'll be the extreme rare occasion that I'd consider hauling the bike rather than riding it. Off the top of my head, I can think of: having Dana come get me if the bike dies out on the road, family vacations that we want to have the option of riding while there, getting to the dealer in case of a flat or other incapacitation, and.....That's about it. A rental trailer works for some of those, but not all.

And I hate towing a trailer.

Xkvator 08-07-2010 02:08 PM

if your bike dies, you aint pushin it up ladder type ramps into your truck...

jus sayin...

BigSwede 08-07-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xkvator (Post 967283)
if your bike dies, you aint pushin it up ladder type ramps into your truck...

jus sayin...

Yep.....

Got mine at harbor freight. Yes your tailgate will be good. I've hauled mine in the back of the truck several times. Rear tire sits in the gap between the tailgate and bed.

SafetyMan 08-07-2010 02:48 PM

Just to play devil's advocate....

If the bike is incapacitated, even with ramps, how are you going to get it up in the bed of the truck? That's a lot of dead weight to push all the way up a narrow ramp.

I'd go for the rentauhaul route. Still cheaper, and the deck is muchly lower, and wider, and easier to push a dead bike up.

Just my dos centas.

SafetyMan 08-07-2010 02:49 PM

....and trailers ain't hard to pull.

Quit being a puss.

:Poke:

Bone Stockman 08-07-2010 03:17 PM

A come-along will pull a dead bike up a tree if need be, it'll certainly get it up a ramp.

y2kflhr 08-07-2010 03:29 PM

this is my 2 cents....get a ramp like the one I borrowed and just think about using it for vader, if you plan on making a long trip that you want to trailer stockman, than you can probably find one on craigslist, getting that bike up and down the ramp with just you and dana is gotta be a beeaatch and not worth the trouble, heck I know of 2 trailers that you can borrow if your really wanted one, and remember your bike won't fit right in an 8 foot trailer that the ramp goes above the tourpack, I found that out bringing violletta home.

now for accessories they have really cool lights you can put on the ramp so you can see at night....:Poke::Poke::Poke:

BigTOE 08-07-2010 03:58 PM

Our field service rep just totaled his bike on a ramp like that. Rolled that sucker right off it. This is one of the most mechanically minded, tough, competent, former Marine type people I know. I'll stick with the nice, low, wide, cheap trailer cause I ain't that good.

y2kflhr 08-07-2010 04:00 PM

I watched my friend roll his sport off a ramp it wasn't pretty

Sent from my lawnguyland droid

Homesick 08-07-2010 04:03 PM

All this is why I bought a Trailer-in-a-Bag.

I can load bike alone, in most any circumstance.

If Mama has to come save me, she doesn't have to wrestle a trailer around, or borrow/rent one. All she has to do is grab my spare keys, and hit the door. The trailer lives in the rear of my Tahoe.

joe