The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Touring Discussion (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   2012 Ultra Limited Exhaust Suggestions (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206390)

Captain 41 05-28-2016 06:12 AM

2012 Ultra Limited Exhaust Suggestions

I'm running the stock pipes right now but was considering either slip ons or full exhaust. I'm leaning towards slips ons for now just to keep the cost down. Any suggestions based on what you have? I was looking at the RC Components.

Bone Stockman 05-28-2016 08:14 AM

Exhaust is incredibly subjective.

You have a catalytic converter in your headpipe, which is going to act as a muffler and quiet down anything you get. If you want to replace the headpipe, I have experience with both the Jackpot and the Fullsac pipes, and can recommend either.

As far as mufflers are concerned, I like the sound of the RC stuff, but (if you like loud) I really, really like the sound of the 4" Jackpots. On my bike I'm running a Fullsac DX pipe and stock CVO mufflers. I found everything used on Ebay for less than $500 shipped.

Backroad Mike 05-28-2016 09:08 AM

And so it begins.

:roflback::roflback::roflback::roflback:

Like Russ said, it's subjective. That cat is going to keep a lot more heat in the engine.

Now, why am I laughing.. It starts with the mufflers, then you swap out the head pipe.. Now that it's breathing better, it's also running much more lean, and can cause other issues. Sooooo, then comes a tuner, or a dyno to get the AFR where it won't burn up your engine. If you can stop there, GREAT. You may get out less than $1200-1500.00 if you shop around and live near a good dyno tuner. :whistling:

P.S. Ah, your in luck. You live in NY. Go see our good friend Smart Dave Stoddard at Pocono Mountain Harley and tell him we sent you. You won't be disappointed.

orbit 05-28-2016 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backroad Mike (Post 1481189)
And so it begins.

:roflback::roflback::roflback::roflback:

Like Russ said, it's subjective. That cat is going to keep a lot more heat in the engine.

Now, why am I laughing.. It starts with the mufflers, then you swap out the head pipe.. Now that it's breathing better, it's also running much more lean, and can cause other issues. Sooooo, then comes a tuner, or a dyno to get the AFR where it won't burn up your engine. If you can stop there, GREAT. You may get out less than $1200-1500.00 if you shop around and live near a good dyno tuner. :whistling:

P.S. Ah, your in luck. You live in NY. Go see our good friend Smart Dave Stoddard at Pocono Mountain Harley and tell him we sent you. You won't be disappointed.

Yeah.

That darned snowball.......

Fe Butte 05-28-2016 11:23 AM

Going to stick with slip on's, after I find a new home for the Rem 700...

Just a little louder than a H0NDA glide...

BigTOE 05-28-2016 09:33 PM

I really like the 4" Rineharts that Smart Dave recommended. Also West End Motorsports who has really good prices in exhaust is just down the road from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain 41 05-29-2016 07:45 AM

I'm really on the fence with that to do. Short term goal is to was just to do slip ons for now just so that it gives me some visibility on the road. The stock pipes are just pitiful. I've spent countless hours researching mufflers and listening to different exhaust notes and its exhausting. Long term goal was to add headers and maybe a cam and get it tuned by Dave at Pocono.

Having that said I absolutely love this bike BUT I'm disappointed with the gas mileage and power the bike is producing. I'm barely getting 35mpg's whereas the guy at the dealership said I should expect 41-44mpg. Maybe thats pie in the sky but from what I read its takes an after market tuner to achieve that. And yes I want more power. I come from a sport bike background and did a fair amount of road/tracking racing and I love performance.

Big decision, bite the bullet and buy the parts and do it all now. Or do it piece meal over the course of the next year. I'm a finished product kind of person, I don't like doing things half asses or even worse wasting money by doing things twice.

Right now its a toss up between the RC Components, V&H and Rineharts. I really like the way they all sound at the end of the day might just come down to which I can get the best deal on.

MegaGlide 05-29-2016 08:58 AM

Bear in mind that the same mufflers on a stock engine and/or with stock head pipes will sound way different than on a built motor. Make sure you're listening to apples, not oranges.

Just another damn Dave
Fluent in Pidgin Cigar Spanish

Fe Butte 05-29-2016 09:26 AM

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/series-19...IMITED%20FLHTK

Check out the video tab / link(?) on this page.

orbit 05-29-2016 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaGlide (Post 1481286)
Bear in mind that the same mufflers on a stock engine and/or with stock head pipes will sound way different than on a built motor. Make sure you're listening to apples, not oranges.

Just another damn Dave
Fluent in Pidgin Cigar Spanish

Yep.

More cam and/or compression will change the exhaust note heard through the same mufflers.

:whistling:

par_fore 05-29-2016 10:59 AM

I went with fuel moto headers and the 4" slip ons. And the creep ensued so I added an intake and the power vision/target tune combo. The provided a good base map to go with that setup. I haven't modified it...yet.

Noticeably more power and much better tone. It is a little blappy if you get on it at cruising speed. MPGs are only running about 38. Overall I'm giddy!

BigTOE 05-29-2016 12:17 PM

I'm getting 44.88 mpg average over the last seven fillups, all with E0 gas. That's a couple mpg better than I was getting stock. That's with K&N filter on a SE stage 1 intake, Fullsac headers and Rinehart 4 inch mufflers and a tune by Smart Dave. Sounds good runs great.

My second choice would have been everything from Jamie at Fuelmoto and do the Target Tune.

You're not going to be happy with just slipons. You're just not. Go ahead and get it done and over with and go ride.

vafatboy 05-29-2016 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTOE (Post 1481316)
I'm getting 44.88 mpg average over the last seven fillups, all with E0 gas. That's a couple mpg better than I was getting stock. That's with K&N filter on a SE stage 1 intake, Fullsac headers and Rinehart 4 inch mufflers and a tune by Smart Dave. Sounds good runs great.

My second choice would have been everything from Jamie at Fuelmoto and do the Target Tune.

You're not going to be happy with just slipons. You're just not. Go ahead and get it done and over with and go ride.

The important part of all that is the Smart Dave thing.

BigTOE 05-29-2016 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafatboy (Post 1481331)
The important part of all that is the Smart Dave thing.

This ^^^^