The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   MotoCamping (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   2017 Motorcycle Camping Tour (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207963)

Ken R 06-12-2017 11:54 AM

2017 Motorcycle Camping Tour

This is a special event camping tour. Mike Savage (many of you have met him) officially is retired from the Richardson School District after 39 years in a couple of days. So this year's camping tour is aptly named, "The Principal Savage Motorcycle Camping Retirement Tour".

Dan named it, " The Mike Savage Un-Principled Camping and Debauchery Tour" That'll work, too. :roflback:

Anyway, this year we'll be gone 15 days beginning July 1st. On the way up to the most northern point of the tour, Billlings, Montana, we'll be stopping at Bishop's Castle, Royal Gorge, Cripple Creek, and Mueller State Park which is on the west flanks of Pikes Peak.

Next day, we do Pikes Peak and a quick trip through Garden of the Gods before heading to Douglas, Wyoming.

On July 4th, we head through Casper and up to Billings/Laurel, Montana where we actually have hotel rooms for the night. Montana's biggest fireworks display is in Laurel. Should be cool.

Then, it really gets interesting. We're going to have breakfast with Larry at The Alpine Inn in Red Lodge. Remember Larry's great outdoor breakfasts? He remembers us and invited us to breakfast on the 5th.

After that, we're camping 3 nights in Yellowstone and two more nights in Teton National Parks. Some are worried about bears and are buying bear spray. I'm more concerned about sharing the roads with buffalo.

Then back south to Rocky Mountain National Park for 3 nights followed by one night in Great Sand Dunes National Park. We'll leave there and head south before turning east at Red River, NM to point the motors towards home.

If anyone wishes to see us along the way, I'll have a web page up for the tour with GPS spotting for our locations as we ride.

Ken

Fe Butte 06-12-2017 05:50 PM

Sounds fantastic.
Have to remain here and help with "baby" sitting. The first week of July gets hectic here.

Breakfast in Red Lodge? Awesome!, maybe a midnight ride to the top of Beartooth?

Until SHTF happens I really don't desire to lay on the ground, well... maybe not the laying on the ground part, more of the need of a throne in the mornings and a nice shower stall.

Dinero 06-12-2017 06:34 PM

I'm looking forward to following this.

Dinero 06-12-2017 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
??

Ken R 06-12-2017 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinero (Post 1499090)
??

Good one, Jim! :whistling:

vafatboy 06-13-2017 04:54 AM

Sounds like a blast Ken.

Big Cheese 06-13-2017 10:01 PM

sounds like a blast Ken! Ill be following along.

Ken R 06-14-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fe Butte (Post 1499086)
Sounds fantastic.
Have to remain here and help with "baby" sitting. The first week of July gets hectic here.

Breakfast in Red Lodge? Awesome!, maybe a midnight ride to the top of Beartooth?

Until SHTF happens I really don't desire to lay on the ground, well... maybe not the laying on the ground part, more of the need of a throne in the mornings and a nice shower stall.

It's not so much the laying on the ground as it is waking up in the morning, crawling out of the tent, and doing a great big arm stretch and thinking, "It's a beautiful morning." or "Good morning America How Are You?"

Can hardly wait for the adventure to begin.

Fe Butte 06-14-2017 04:03 PM

There was the one night in Montana by a lake near Whitefish when the raccoons tried spooning me...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ken R 06-14-2017 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fe Butte (Post 1499168)
There was the one night in Montana by a lake near Whitefish when the raccoons tried spooning me...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Spooning is usually nice. Maybe not with racoons. :blink:

At the Grand Canyon south rim campground last year, an elk was nudging one of our group through the tent wall.

Ken R 06-22-2017 09:52 PM

Thought I'd go ahead and post this website. It details our trip that starts on July 1st. That morning, I'll turn on SPOT and the spots should begin to appear on the map.

The unPrincipled Savage Motorcycle Camping and Debauchery Tour

I think all the links work.

Infidel! 07-05-2017 10:33 AM

I asked Ken to, if possible, include a stop at Alpine Red Lodge in the itinerary. We stopped in this morning for breakfast. Larry was as friendly as ever, loved seeing us again. He has spruced up the joint a little, with a covered patio in place of the tent for cooking.

We have to come back and stay here again.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...20c4a3b047.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fe Butte 07-05-2017 10:34 AM

An awesome place and people who run it! :woohoo:

I am so tied to this place to support the wife during the 4th of July "week" to cater to the guest needs.

The owner gives the support staff off / reduced hours to be with their family's during that time period, except for the desk staff.

Ken R 07-15-2017 09:33 PM

What a fabulous and epic 15 days! I think maybe the best motorcycle camping trip I've ever been on. Ask Dan about whitewater rafting!

Most motorcycle trips consist of riding (or trailering) to a certain area of world and then daily motorcycle trips on different roads for the motorcycling experiences. OUR motorcycle camping trips are quite different. We ride our motors across the country and camp in mostly National Park campground; and then enjoy the sighs and activities in the area. The motorcycling part just happens by default as we travel to the different activities.

Ken R 07-24-2017 02:27 PM

Anyone recognize these guys?

Whitewater River Rafting in the Snake River, just outside the Idaho/Wyoming border.

http://snakeriver.elevationimaging.c...plate=fullsize

Dan, George, Mike, JD, Dennis, and me. This is the kind of things we do on our motorcycle camping trips. :blink: