The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   EFI to CARB... take II... (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150723)

8-Ball 10-22-2008 03:02 PM

EFI to CARB... take II...

1 Attachment(s)
I've been doing some research on this project and am committed to moving forward on it.

I've attached a pdf with the conversion parts, prices, etc.

There are still some questions:

1. I believe the items marked in red can be eliminated if the Pingel Petcock is used. Anyone care to verify?

2. Not sure if the EFI Coil can be reused. I found a site that suggests that it might. What do you think?

3. Not sure about which ignition and what the pros and cons of each are. I did find a site that discusses marrying up the new ignition with the TSM... I assume this is only for Harley ignitions. So which ignition is the way to go and what about the speedometer connection/codes/security alarm, etc.???

4. I also found a 2004 HD parts pricebook online. Could help to get the round about cost of stuff...

5. Am I missing anything?

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Mikuni Tech Info:

Mikuni Total Kit Installation Procedure

Mikuni Tuning Procedure

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Attached pdf updated: 10/23/2008 1141 hours

ridingjerry 10-22-2008 03:09 PM

:yikes:

Holy cow.
That much chit just to keep from installing points or a magneto!!!!!!!!

silent1 10-22-2008 03:13 PM

Why would you go from EFI to carb?

route66paul 10-22-2008 03:19 PM

A proper running efi system is infinitely more tunable, each cell is setup , rather than the 3 or 4 setups on the carb. The efi can also work to get the best ignition advance for that cell, thereby giving the max power across the board, instead of the carbs finite settings. The tighter that the EPA comes down on us, the more important it is to have a good running efi.

That being said, when it is messed upm many times it is very hard to fix, in this case, simple is better, but you will never get as good a tune with a carb. The mikuni is a very good setup, it has the CV system and it works better than other cv carbs. Just like efi, your tuner is a very important part of the puzzle.

vafatboy 10-22-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by route66paul (Post 541028)
A proper running efi system is infinitely more tunable, each cell is setup , rather than the 3 or 4 setups on the carb. The efi can also work to get the best ignition advance for that cell, thereby giving the max power across the board, instead of the carbs finite settings. The tighter that the EPA comes down on us, the more important it is to have a good running efi.

That being said, when it is messed upm many times it is very hard to fix, in this case, simple is better, but you will never get as good a tune with a carb. The mikuni is a very good setup, it has the CV system and it works better than other cv carbs. Just like efi, your tuner is a very important part of the puzzle.

Define a good tune.:whistling: Look at all the pinging issues EFI has vs. Carb.

8-Ball 10-22-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

I think it is more like finding a good tuner in a haystack... without that, you've got a big pile of pinging shlt... and fukcin' vacuum hose stuck in your wallet every time you look crosseyed at the bike...

Simple... I want simple...

GrayRider 10-22-2008 04:08 PM

I just love you, man.

silent1 10-22-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the explanation. My bike is carb'd, and other than the cold morning starts, it's been great so far.

Good luck w/ the conversion!

Berserker 10-22-2008 05:21 PM

carbs can ping you know. But when you got as much money as you to spend on Harleys, and its been awhile since a build...

squish 10-22-2008 06:24 PM

if i had the tuning issues he's had i'd go carb as well......but i don't have the number of builds either....:Poke:

KTWillys 10-22-2008 06:38 PM

Mike,
I doubt that the EFI coil will work with a carb ignition. They both have different OHM requirments..
You cant use a carb coil with the EFI so I doubt that you could go the other way.
Carb coils are not very expensive, especially if you consider what it is going to cost to do your project.
I got to say that I have to agree with you on the conversion.. I am thinking the same myself.
I know that the EFI have some good sides but life sure is a lot simpler with a carb and if a carb had been an option on mine when I bought it I would have gotten carb.

Geezer-Glide 10-22-2008 07:40 PM

:popcorn:

y2kflhr 10-22-2008 10:05 PM

8-I have a stock coil for ya too. In a different box than the ignitions, I even bet the wires are in the box.

Thorns 10-22-2008 10:12 PM

Maybe you should buy a dyno, and take a class from Doc. :whistling:

Thorns

GrayRider 10-22-2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorns (Post 541392)
Maybe you should buy a dyno, and take a class from Doc. :whistling:

Thorns

At one point, would have been a savings. I could have chipped in.