The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tins, Body Work, & Paint (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   FXDLRG (????) (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193749)

stupidglide 01-31-2013 11:28 PM

FXDLRG (????)

Ok, somma you folks and folkettes are gonna think I'm plumb done gone outta' my mind (such as it is, I am a child of the 60's after all).
Heres the scoop- some of you know that I am the VERY proud owner of a 2009 FXD Super Glide (Oh yeah!- thats where "stupidglide" came from!) I ride the poop out of my scoot on as many back roads as I can, whenever possible, only I got tired of of the front end skippin' across the pavement, thus the Fat Boy wheels. Now- with that fat ol' 16' tire on the front, and the 49mm forks, it handles like its on rails, it is after all a Dyna, one of the best corner carvin' bikes ever to come from the Motor Company.
Now- this brings me to the point- as I'm no spring turkey no more, and I'm gettin' tired of freezin' my noogies (and other body parts as well) I'm puttin' a 2008 Road Glide fairing on it. Now I've looked around, and can't say I've seen a single Dyna set up this way. So, anybody out there seen such a critter, been there, done this, know someone who has, wants too, etc. I will be posting piccies as I go, and thought I'd toss this out there and see what all y'all think about this here project, have any input, hints, tips (or just want to roll your eyes at me over my general Doof-i-ness). I expect I'll have it completed in about the next month or so, and will keep you updated.

Oh yeah- What does FXDLRG mean? FXD (the bike) L (Lucky, my nickname since I was about 4 years old) RG- Road Glide of course!:blink:

stupidglide 01-31-2013 11:38 PM

Pics I hope.....

5 Attachment(s)
Hope the pics uploaded!:doh:

MegaGlide 01-31-2013 11:44 PM

Bluetoys 02-01-2013 01:49 AM

Upside is that it'll be harder for others to see the speedo :D

Will probably dive like a dolphin if you brake more than moderately

Should look pretty good though

MegaGlide 02-01-2013 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluetoys (Post 1309431)

Well, so long as it doesn't dive like a Brazilian guy dining on poisoned poon...

stupidglide 02-01-2013 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluetoys (Post 1309431)

All good points, thus the Progressive suspension HD fork springs, 1" preload spacers, cartridge emulators and I went up to 30 weight fork oil with moly additive to help preclude all the divin' activities (Brazilian or otherwise) I can lock up the front wheel at will, if she weren't so heavy, she'd do stoppies:blink:
I'm a big believer of the mantra of:
#1, UPGRADE SUSPENSION
#2, GOOD RUBBER
#3, BETTER BRAKES
#4, THEN make it go like a scalded dog!

I'm hoping to get a set of hard bags on her before summer is over too.:woohoo:
If anyone else has suggestions/ pointers/ hints/ abject criticisms, etc. Please, let me know!

RoadWolf 02-01-2013 02:30 AM

How does the fairing attach?

stupidglide 02-01-2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadWolf (Post 1309441)

I'm using a modified "crash bar eliminator" on the bottom (Hotop designs, about $90.00) and am currently modifying a stock 2008 Road Glide upper fairing mounting bracket, complete with the radio carrier (As that is actually the backing plate for the fairing mount) to attach it to the frame. I will either fab up a bolt on adapter to the front tank mount, or weld 2 attachment points to the head tube casting (Using a TIG welder). I will send along pics and details as I go, detailing what I've done, and how I've done it. I'm reasonably sure it will work just fine, as I have seen this done on a V-Rod, complete with radio and everything ("Long haul V-Rod", November 2012 issue of Baggers magazine, pages 94 through 98)
When I do the hard bags, I'm upgading the rear shocks, and adding a suspension stabilizer kit (eliminates the dreaded rear steer some folks experience on the rubber mount bikes)
I'm going to keep the paint simple (black) and use as many stock parts as I can. If you'll note- that is a Fat Boy front wheel in a mid-glide front end, and it uses all stock spacers, bearings and axle hardware. I try to use the OEM stuff, as if something breaks, out in the middle of East Overshoe, I can get parts for it easily- for example, did you know NAPA sells brake pads for Harleys? And they're good ones too!

Slick 02-01-2013 07:12 AM

I'd trade the bike in for a real bagger. But that's just me.

Backroad Mike 02-01-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaGlide (Post 1309418)

:roflback::roflback:

dzlfitr 02-01-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadWolf (Post 1309441)

Looks like wif tape.:whistling:

noodles 02-01-2013 08:00 AM

I like black~
Where did you get the bike stand from?

RoadWolf 02-01-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stupidglide (Post 1309444)
I'm using a modified "crash bar eliminator" on the bottom (Hotop designs, about $90.00) and am currently modifying a stock 2008 Road Glide upper fairing mounting bracket, complete with the radio carrier (As that is actually the backing plate for the fairing mount) to attach it to the frame. I will either fab up a bolt on adapter to the front tank mount, or weld 2 attachment points to the head tube casting (Using a TIG welder). I will send along pics and details as I go, detailing what I've done, and how I've done it. I'm reasonably sure it will work just fine, as I have seen this done on a V-Rod, complete with radio and everything ("Long haul V-Rod", November 2012 issue of Baggers magazine, pages 94 thruogh 98)
When I do the hard bags, I'm upgading the rear shocks, and adding a suspension stabilizer kit (eliminates the dreaded rear steer some folks experience on the rubber mount bikes)
I'm going to keep the paint simple (black) and use as many stock parts as I can. If you'll note- that is a Fat Boy front wheel in a mid-glide front end, and it uses all stock spacers, bearings and axle hardware. I try to use the OEM stuff, as if something breaks, out in the middle of East Overshoe, I can get parts for it easily- for example, did you know NAPA sells brake pads for Harleys? And they're good ones too!

Looking forward to the pics!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzlfitr (Post 1309493)
Looks like wif tape.:whistling:

Exactly! That's why I asked!

Uesque 02-01-2013 08:44 AM

You definitely want the dual disks if you're backroad bombing. The only way I can keep up with some of our faster members is by outbraking them into the curves (and a slightly better lean angle). :whistling:

I found that the Progressive springs and a fork brace really tightened up the front end.

Bone Stockman 02-01-2013 08:55 AM

30wt fork oil? Assuming you've used heavier springs to compensate for the additional weight of the fairing, that's way too heavy. I ran 5wt in the Limited with Intiminators (which are similar to your emulators). I wouldn't thing you'd want anything heavier than 15wt, maximum.