The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Riding Stories and Adventures (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   My Thursday ride home (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210913)

Backroad Mike 08-08-2020 10:44 AM

My Thursday ride home

1 Attachment(s)
Thursday I took the bike out to a couple of my projects for some spot checks with my inspectors. While I didn't intend to stay late, a last minute phone call from my counterpart held me up. It wasn't until I looked at the Radar on my other phone that I told him I had to go NOW. This was the radar and my location leaving near Scottsville.

The storm coming over the top of Charlottesville was headed due east and took down 7 trees from my bosses yard. The one south of me was moving northeast. Both were merging on my intended route. I made the best I could do, but ended up in the Chit so to speak.

Backroad Mike 08-08-2020 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This one was half way home, and the picture was after I had been sheltering in a Tractor Supply store for an hour. All that big nasty red and purple stuff was upon me when I got there soaking wet. I just quickly grabbed what I needed from the tour pack and bolted for the door. It was pretty intense with plenty of lightening and torrential downpours for an hour. Store was open until 9, and the clerk was very accommodating, so I told Sleeveless I would shelter here. The power flickered 8-10 times, but never went out. Since I had no idea initially how long I'd be here, I bought some dry clothes to change into, and something to snack on and drink.

New Shirt and pants - $28.00
large bag of jerky - $12.00
Low carb G2 - $2.00
Bathroom - Priceless

Backroad Mike 08-08-2020 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
About 7 pm, the storm had finally moved east enough that I decided to suit up with the rain gear and try to make it home. There were some flooded drainage ditches and a few places where 6-8 inches of water were over the road. I was following some vehicles, so I could gage whether to follow them through or not. I had to stay to the center of the road, as every low inside corner was flooded off the edge line and sometimes to the center line. Couple times I had to wait for cars to clear the other direction or take a shower as they sprayed water 10-15 feet each side. I also had to watch out for storm debris as there were a few areas I had to dodge around tree debris. The closer I got to home, the closer I came up to the back of the storm. About 6 miles out, I had to take shelter one last time under the entrance of a community center. After about 20 minutes here and drying my glasses again, it was still raining when I left, but it wasn't the front of the storm and for the most part, the lightening was still a little ways off.. :whistling:

It was good to get home. The rain gear did pretty good on that last leg. Little damp, but not bad at all. It could have been worse.

Margarita 08-08-2020 01:20 PM

Thanks for sharing the adventure story, Mike.

Ol Mike 08-08-2020 01:27 PM

Never know what Mother Nature is going to throw your way.

Infidel! 08-08-2020 06:10 PM

Glad you made it home safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Scabbydoo 08-08-2020 10:39 PM

Don't ya just love doing your best imitation of a drowned rat. :SD2

fxr4mikey 08-09-2020 07:22 AM

Whew !!!

Glad ya got home, and safe too ��

Fe Butte 08-10-2020 09:53 AM

Yeah, fighting trying to see out of rain streaked glasses, the wind twitching you and the bike about while dodging branches in the dark is quite the "adventure".

About two years after that I found out why my HD GPS had routed me way out into the middle of nowhere Kansas, prior to it coming in on me just at sundown on the way to Topeka for the night.

I-70 had become a toll road between Kansas City and Topeka since the last time I had taken that route and the GPS was avoiding toll roads.:doh:

Glad to hear you made it home safely.

Backroad Mike 08-10-2020 06:41 PM

It's not about the destination they always say...

It's not the first time, and likely won't be my last either. :whistling:

At least this time my cell phone was protected with my Lifeproof case and survived the weather. This is the same type of case Slowhound was using when he dropped his phone off the 26th floor observation deck at the Memphis Bass Pro Shop in the Pyramid. Priceless. :roflback:

Harry The M 08-11-2020 09:08 AM

Don't Ya just hate the forecast that says chance of Isolated Storms today....