The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Transmission (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Thinking about turning a wrench or 2, (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175819)

why_me 11-05-2010 09:26 PM

Thinking about turning a wrench or 2,

Let's say, I wanted to dig in to my oil dissipation problem. Some of what I have heard as far as causes have been excessive runout, oil pump misalignment, and the oil return hole under the umbrella valve needing to be opened up. Me, being a newb to wrenching to this extent on bikes, but a good amount of experience wrenching on cars, would like to get an idea of what I would need to do this on my own as far as tools, gaskets, things to keep in mind as I do it, things I may want to think about upgrading while I have it apart anyways, things of that nature.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to pay handsomely to have a single problem addressed, or invest the same money in doing it myself over the winter and hopefully end up to the plus side of performance and reliability.

Do your worst.

Scabbydoo 11-05-2010 09:35 PM

Don't let Russ touch it.

DaSkip 11-05-2010 09:43 PM

With the proper manual and tools, I think you'll be fine. They're a lot of people here that will pitch in as you proceed.

:unsure:

TalonChief 11-05-2010 09:56 PM

Cam change gasket set.
Oil pump alignment pins.
You can get it apart w/out special tools, but you'll want torque adapters for the return trip.

Take the tank all the way off so you have plenty of room to work. A couple of the rocker cover bolts suck huge monstrous donkey cock to remove/install. If you intend to drill out the rocker plates, IIRC, you have to pull the whole box to get the bolts in/out--don't hold me to this.

Do the cam bearings and maybe tensioners while you're in there. Of course, once you've got it that far apart, it's just 8 more bolts to a 95". Or is your bike a 96"? I'd put adjustable pushrods in while I was there too.

Some pointers here: http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/sho...d+so+it+begins

d j 11-05-2010 09:58 PM

Is your bike, as built, not functioning properly in any way you can perceive whilst riding it?

MegaGlide 11-05-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalonChief (Post 1009341)
Cam change gasket set.
Oil pump alignment pins.
You can get it apart w/out special tools, but you'll want torque adapters for the return trip.

Take the tank all the way off so you have plenty of room to work. A couple of the rocker cover bolts suck huge monstrous donkey cock to remove/install. If you intend to drill out the rocker plates, IIRC, you have to pull the whole box to get the bolts in/out--don't hold me to this.

Do the cam bearings and maybe tensioners while you're in there. Of course, once you've got it that far apart, it's just 8 more bolts to a 95". Or is your bike a 96"? I'd put adjustable pushrods in while I was there too.

Some pointers here: http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/sho...d+so+it+begins

IIRC, it's a 96, so only 8 bolts (and $300-$400, plus a tuner and tune) to a 103".
I must respectfully disagree w/ the adjustable pushrods, though. As someone so thoughtfully pointed out to me, if you need them later, bolt cutters.

Sonic 11-05-2010 10:01 PM

:popcorn::popcorn:

MegaGlide 11-05-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d j (Post 1009342)
Is your bike, as built, not functioning properly in any way you can perceive whilst riding it?

---
Quote:

Originally Posted by Why_Me (Post 1009332)
Let's say, I wanted to dig in to my oil dissipation problem. Some of what I have heard as far as causes have been excessive runout, oil pump misalignment, and the oil return hole under the umbrella valve needing to be opened up. Me, being a newb to wrenching to this extent on bikes, but a good amount of experience wrenching on cars, would like to get an idea of what I would need to do this on my own as far as tools, gaskets, things to keep in mind as I do it, things I may want to think about upgrading while I have it apart anyways, things of that nature.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to pay handsomely to have a single problem addressed, or invest the same money in doing it myself over the winter and hopefully end up to the plus side of performance and reliability.

Do your worst.

TalonChief 11-05-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaGlide (Post 1009344)
I must respectfully disagree w/ the adjustable pushrods, though. As someone so thoughtfully pointed out to me, if you need them later, bolt cutters.

Noted.

d j 11-05-2010 10:03 PM

Box Stock All The Way. Leave well enough alone. Just Sayin'

why_me 11-05-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d j (Post 1009342)

It's when I climb off and see the oil running from the air cleaner and streaming down the saddle bags that sorts bugs me.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Ancient Iron 11-06-2010 05:09 AM

Jump in and have at it, it's pretty basic wrenchin'.

I will be curious to hear what the oil spewage is attributed to. Mine will do it on occasion on a smaller scale.

FXDRYDR 11-06-2010 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why_Me (Post 1009357)
It's when I climb off and see the oil running from the air cleaner and streaming down the saddle bags that sorts bugs me.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Well...

I say, if you have the time and patience - go for it. The service manual is good and the service parts manual makes it even better as it shows how things come apart. Most tools required are things you probably already have and what special tools are required, you can buy as you need. Georges Garage is good.

The drilling of the oil return passages is something a lot of builders recommend and something on my list to do as well as switch from the plastic to the metal umbrella valves. Yours probably has the metal as it's newer than mine and IIRC, HD went back to metal.

You might also simply vent your heads to the outside rather than to intake. Mine was very easy to do and dunno for sure, but yours should be too. I vented from the heads to a rubber hose that runs along the bottom of the frame, along the swingarm and out the end. No muss, no fuss. This alone will solve the problem of oil on your bags. Drilling the passages might limit the amount of oil getting blown out.

yolkum 11-06-2010 07:03 AM

I'd help ya with this ed. But I get the funny feeling you want yer sled to run in the spring. So I'm gonna do what I do best. Sit quietly and listen politely.
:roflback: roflback:

Yeah that ain't gonna happen.

yolkum 11-06-2010 07:10 AM

Sounds to me that yer bike is frieghtened of Jenny and is pissing itself...:whistling: just say'n

Got no fix for that... Same thing happens to me when I see her coming.