The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Transmission (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   SE "manual" primary chain tensioner after report. (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209361)

Fe Butte 08-28-2018 06:53 PM

SE "manual" primary chain tensioner after report.

After riding update.
After install I set the adjustment to the larger chain deflection of 7/8".

Rode the bike to Sturgis and back.

Man this thing sounded like there rocks bouncing around in the primary case after we started out. Told a friend who had done the same thing to his RG about the noise and if his made it.

When cold and in higher gears / speeds wasn't so much a noise issue.

But in my fertile fooked up mind, just could see it grinding through the inner case while on the ride.

Oh well, if it cuts through the case and leaks the oil on the rear tire my problems would end.

Today I finally had time to get it drained and pulled apart, no metal flakes in the fluid, no points of contact inside the inner case.

So I undid the tabs and adjusted the chain play (deflection?) to the tighter end of specification, 5/8" . will button up and give ride / noise report later this week.

Maybe ride to the Rib Cookoff in Sparks, East of Reno a bit, try some ribs and have a day to clear my belfry.

{

Infidel! 08-28-2018 07:57 PM

Tell me again why you took the semi-auto adjuster out?

DAK47 08-28-2018 07:59 PM

MMMM Ribs!! I have the SE Auto, sounds horrid when nursing it around at parking lot speeds with lots of throttle up & down and clutch.

Checked it once, all is good - don't even hear it anymore..... Tuned it out.

Dirk

Fe Butte 08-28-2018 08:13 PM

The automatic one sometimes goes too tight and trashes the bearing(s) behind the clutch basket hub. I think that is a plan by Harley so you need to buy a new Bagger.

Ask Billy...:whistling:

DAK47 08-28-2018 08:30 PM

Extendo Warranty on the Dogfish until I quit riding or sell it..... I love my Guy! 25+ years, he has my back no matter what mods to the drivetrain or whatever.

Dirk

Fe Butte 09-09-2018 12:09 PM

Has a different noise now, not so much rocks in a tumbler, but is there.

Read on some other forum that it is prone to make more noise than the automatic one.

On this past Thursdays ride, I did get a stumble when I was accelerating from a stop signal.

Now what fresh hell is this?:doh:

It was in the mid nineties and riding slow speed in town, later I found some person at the dealer had activated the hot idle control, the EIMTS, where it drops one cylinder at idle when hot. When I got new tires the week or two before.

So I rectified that issue now the stumble is gone and the idle speed is lower.

: )

Turbo Turtle 09-09-2018 11:54 PM

Wow :blink: I'm feeling better for keeping my 06' around. Local HD tech said to keep it if and when I upgrade. I have my eyes set on 2020'

bob