The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Random Crap (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   need a new heat pump (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207597)

fred1369 03-06-2017 02:37 PM

need a new heat pump

mine is 20 years old and leaking oil and corroded. Better to replace it now than in July or August when it is 100 degrees and all the companies are a month behind.
Any preferences twixt Rheem or York or American Standard? I heard Trane is not as good as it usedto was.

at least Duke Power is giving rebates on energy efficient replacements. a new swimming pool pump will pay for itself in 2 years they say.

Ol Mike 03-06-2017 03:45 PM

I'm happy with my Rheem

Sales specials and warranties might be a consideration.

MrSurly 03-06-2017 04:18 PM

I would install an AC unit with a gas furnace....but that's just me.

I have no use for a heat pump, but I know they have their fans.

vafatboy 03-06-2017 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSurly (Post 1495556)
I would install an AC unit with a gas furnace....but that's just me.

I have no use for a heat pump, but I know they have their fans.

Assuming he has NG available I would agree.

Dinero 03-06-2017 05:39 PM

That makes three of us.

fred1369 03-06-2017 06:26 PM

I have gas available. Put it in so we could have a gas stove. For NC's climate a heat pump does an adequate job. Wouldn't a AC and furnace cost more?

Fe Butte 03-06-2017 06:49 PM

If it gets below 40°f a "heat pump" is just a big electric room heater.

Sent from mobile device prone to spelling errors

YankeeBob 03-06-2017 09:00 PM

I used to install Rheem/Rudd when I was in the business. They're a decent product. Spend the coin and get one with the highest efficiency possible (Prestige Series). It WILL make a difference in your electric bill.
I have Trane at the nursing home I now work at. The trouble with Trane is the proprietary components.

Backroad Mike 03-06-2017 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fe Butte (Post 1495564)
If it gets below 40°f a "heat pump" is just a big electric room heater.

Sent from mobile device prone to spelling errors

I used to have a Trane. It lasted 14 years.

I now have a carrier, 18 seer. The unit I installed ended up with a better seer rating than the more expensive 20 seer unit. My buddy just retired, so I got it while he was still the salesman for a local company, and besides a nice rebate we also got a pretty good discount. If your primary use is heat, I would agree with the gas option. If primarily for cooling, which I would guess is your main focus, then you want the better cooling capacity.

Oh, and Tom. The 40 degrees isn't so much an issue with the higher rated units now available. They have improved.

This carrier unit is SOOOOOO much quieter than the train system we had, both the outside unit and the inside air handler.

fred1369 03-06-2017 10:18 PM

We have a Trane that is going on 21 years. Installed after hurricane Fran in 1996 when the one we had was crushed by a tree.
Power company is giving rebates and the mfgrs are giving rebates and this is the "slow" time of year for HVAC companies so best to get it now.
This heat pump has worked just fine for heating and cooling all these years with nary a problem.

Scabbydoo 03-06-2017 11:56 PM

Don't know if they make heat pumps but when we replaced our furnace/air about six years ago, we went with Bryant. Have an 18 seer "multi stage" system with natural gas furnace which cut our energy bills in half. The system has performed flawlessly.

MrSurly 03-07-2017 12:16 AM

Fred, it sounds like you are in a temperate zone where it doesn't really get cold enough to push the limits of the heat pump. It appears that you've been happy with its performance for all these years and that it's alright in your application. That's not a problem and there is no compelling reason that you shouldn't get another heat pump and roll on, as you were. Where Scabby is in PA, a heat pump wouldn't work at all as a heat source as it gets below freezing way too much there for a heat pump.

I'm not a fan of heat pumps simply because gas (where available) is far cheaper and *much* more effective at heating than a heat pump. If it rarely gets below freezing there, though, a heat pump can do ok and they can also last a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

par_fore 03-07-2017 08:50 AM

I'm all electric and replaced mine with a Goodman because the heat pump came with a 99 year warranty. No problem so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fe Butte 03-07-2017 10:17 AM

Upon further reflection, what is the most commonly supported brand in your area.

As in, what do the local A/C - Heater repair shops support the most of?

Is 15°f this morn here...:whistling:

Ancient Iron 03-07-2017 11:03 AM

I'll throw another brand out there. This place has a Lennox Signature series 20 SEER. Seems to work fine in the PNW climate. Outside unit runs at 60 something decibels. Quietest running system I have ever run across.

I agree though that if we had NG available I would have went a different route.