The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective

The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Handlebars, Grips, Cables... (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Here goes..... (http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203314)

stoney 03-25-2015 04:41 AM

Here goes.....

So I've taken the plunge and bought a set of Wild 1's 10" chubby bagger apes. I saw a set on a bike at a local show and they felt very comfortable. Gonna start the install this weekend - any input as to what to look out for?

Infidel! 03-25-2015 06:46 AM

What year is your bike? I installed the 575's on a bagger a few years back. The things I remember:

Remove the radio. People will tell you that you candy do it with the radio in. Don't believe them. It will save you many moments of frustration if you just remove it.

Internal wiring is a real pain if you're slightly color blind. Get a bright light and make a diagram of the wire colors before you start disconnecting the wires from the connector. I used a small precision screwdriver to release the wires.

If I did it again I would most certainly have one of these available. When I did mine, I must have turned the bars too far and the ignition switch got out of alignment. Took me a long time, but I eventually got it back using a large screwdriver.

Re-routing the clutch cable is mandatory unless you get a +2 cable. I tried the re-routing, but with the bars at full lock it would start to engage the clutch. I wound up going with the extended cables and was much happier.

Otherwise, just take your time and it's a pretty smooth install. I loved the new hand position, and it was like having power steering. Great bars.

stoney 03-25-2015 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infidel! (Post 1445691)
What year is your bike? I installed the 575's on a bagger a few years back. The things I remember:

Remove the radio. People will tell you that you candy do it with the radio in. Don't believe them. It will save you many moments of frustration if you just remove it.

Internal wiring is a real pain if you're slightly color blind. Get a bright light and make a diagram of the wire colors before you start disconnecting the wires from the connector. I used a small precision screwdriver to release the wires.

If I did it again I would most certainly have one of these available. When I did mine, I must have turned the bars too far and the ignition switch got out of alignment. Took me a long time, but I eventually got it back using a large screwdriver.

Re-routing the clutch cable is mandatory unless you get a +2 cable. I tried the re-routing, but with the bars at full lock it would start to engage the clutch. I wound up going with the extended cables and was much happier.

Otherwise, just take your time and it's a pretty smooth install. I loved the new hand position, and it was like having power steering. Great bars.

My bikes an 09 Eglide classic. Wild 1's suggested a 4" extension for the clutch cable. What about the brake line - did you need to extend that as well?

Backroad Mike 03-25-2015 07:33 AM

I put the same bars on my 05. Replaced the clutch line only. Mine was not internally wired, so that part was not an issue.

Don't rely on pictures only of the wires. Draw out a diagram and color code it as sometimes pictures will change the color just enough with the flash that it makes it impossible to distinguish subtle differences. :doh:

Oh, and have some extra fuses. :whistling:

Bone Stockman 03-25-2015 07:50 AM

Assuming you're doing the 575s...

Brake +2, clutch +2. On both the set I did and the set Smart Dave did, that was what was required. No wiring needed to be extended, but we did have to shuffle things around inside the fairing to make it work.

Cut off about 3/4" of an Allen wrench to get the stereo bolts out. Take pictures of the wiring and make legible diagrams. Consider springing for the S/E TBW harness; it makes life easier.

This would be an ideal time to add heated grips. Also an ideal time to change your handlebar bushings to polyurethane.

stoney 03-25-2015 08:06 AM

I'm going to the 578 10" apes. My local indy can get the clutch and brake lines overnight, so I think I'll set the bars up and determine what I need, then order it. It's not like I'm gonna be riding anytime soon.

vafatboy 03-25-2015 09:47 AM

Add a ball allen for radio removal. I just changed out my head unit. And it made it easier. Clutch side top bolt is the toughest. I'm lucky....the stock seat and bars are a perfect fit. Every Wild 1 set I did and helped with.....the reposition of the brake line as suggested looked like ass.

BigTOE 03-25-2015 01:22 PM

I didn't find the internal wiring to be very difficult. Couple of options for extending the wire if needed. Cut and solder a piece in or dealer can crimp new pins on new wire in a few seconds. Mine has done it for free so you're prolly 20% more. :D. Grease everything up with dielectric grease and fish it through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vafatboy 03-25-2015 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTOE (Post 1445727)
I didn't find the internal wiring to be very difficult. Couple of options for extending the wire if needed. Cut and solder a piece in or dealer can crimp new pins on new wire in a few seconds. Mine has done it for free so you're prolly 20% more. :D. Grease everything up with dielectric grease and fish it through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do pull wire through the bars....fold them back on themselves so the folds are staggered. This way the wires are slimmer at the pull end making it a lot easier to fish through the bars.

dzlfitr 03-25-2015 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoney (Post 1445683)
So I've taken the plunge and bought a set of Wild 1's 10" chubby bagger apes. I saw a set on a bike at a local show and they felt very comfortable. Gonna start the install this weekend - any input as to what to look out for?

You said chubby.heh heh heh

Xkvator 03-25-2015 03:21 PM

isn't the 1-piece clamp recommended...?

stoney 03-25-2015 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xkvator (Post 1445737)
isn't the 1-piece clamp recommended...?

Yes it is, but it's stock equipment on the 2008 and newer bikes, or so I'm told.

albundy 03-26-2015 05:24 AM

Stoney, you will be very pleased with the bars.I am running them on my 12 ultra,I had the 575's on the 05 but the 578's are so much better.Watch out for the little green plug on the TBW sensor,very fragile,it's really best to use the CVO sensor,no green plug and easier to pull back threw bars.I used +6 on the clutch bike has ABS so no change on brake line +6 on brake line if no ABS. 578s are taller and wider than 575s

stoney 03-27-2015 08:30 AM

Started to dismantle the fairing last night...... it looks like the front brake line is one solid unit from the master cylinder to the calipers? :blink: I thought I would only need an upper line, or am I missing something?

Infidel! 03-27-2015 09:02 AM

it should split just under the triple tree.