View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 08:11 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
I have several thousands rounds through it now. When I picked it up from the smith he said the ejected casings should be to my 4 o’clock and just a few feet away. He said he didn’t change the recoil spring as it ejected fine with his target loads

Shooting factory 230g FMJ the casings would be struck by the slide and eject forward to about 2 o’clock and swing to about 3 o’clock as I went through a magazine. I put a new Wilson Combat 16# recoil spring in at the same time I started shooting 185g JHP Target reloads I made. The ejection pattern was perfect with the new spring. I tested 100 reloads on my once fired Winchester brass.

Sooo, I ordered 1000 pieces of “once fired” range brass. Loaded 500 rounds. I didn’t have a cartridge gauge yet and just used my barrel to plunk test several out of the first ten or fifteen. They chambered fine so I loaded up that first 500.

At least 30% of those first 500 gave me fits with jambs etc. it was then I found out about brass fired from guns where the round is only partially supported, Glocks in particular. This causes a bulge closer to the rim or base of the cartridge.

There is a fix, Lee Precision makes a Factory Crimp Die that has a carbide sizing ring that sizes the length of the brass as its fed to the crimp ring. I do have a progressive press, but, I prefer to de-cap and run the brass though a ultrasonic cleaner before loading. The primer feed on this press is less than stellar, so use a hand prime off press. Then dump powder seat bullet and crimp in progressive mode

I’ve loaded two different rounds

185g JHP
5.2g W231 powder

200g PRN
5.4g W231 powder

I’m leaning towards the 200g for my target load.

This gun is really accurate and I’m glad I had the work done.