Thread: Garage heat....
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 09:16 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
Nice.

Are they using those return valves on the loops to control flow and balance out the zones so the floor heat is even?

Other than the way your feed and return manifolds are organized, I don't see a lot of difference from what we were installing in Alaska more than 27 years ago. Damn that seems like a such a long time ago.

The last one I was part of was a 40 x 50 garage with 14' ceilings. We put 6" x 4' x 8' rigid foam panels on top of the vapor barrier, then tied the loops to wire metal mesh before pouring the lightweight concrete throughout. Turned out awesome.
Mike,

Those valves can be used to balance the heat.

I checked the basement this morning. I set the thermostat for 68° last night.

Room was an even 68° air temp this morning as I have a few thermometers in different areas of the basement. No one area felt warmer than the other. Now, if we decide to finish the basement, we may have to adjust those valves to balance the rooms better. Right now the basement is just one large room.

The garage is up to 57°, at the thermostat. The thermostat is set for 55°. I ran my hand across different areas of the floor and it's warm to the touch in most areas. However, there are still cool spots. That should eventually balance out. The garage was 38°, at the thermostat, when we started, so it's gonna take a bit for that big slab to even out.

I have thermometer mounted high on the wall, over my work bench, which is the farthest from the boiler, so probably the longest, coldest loop. That read 48° at 5 this morning. Temp now is 51°, so that tells me the heat is working it's way off the floor and up to the ceiling. I have 11' ceiling height in the garage. Garage is a two bay with one tandem stall.

Checked the boiler read out, too. We're putting 120° water out, it's returning at 109°, so the boiler still has a bit of work to do. It's now cycling like a regular furnace.

I tinkered a bit out in the garage this morning, too. Nice to not have water running from my nose because it's cold out. Don't need to wear a stocking cap, either.

I'm impressed so far.