Thread: Statistics
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 08:26 PM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margarita View Post
Found this after typing "WHO murder statistics" into the server:

http://www.who.int/violence_injury_p...t/en/annex.pdf

Statistics on fire arm deaths on pages 322-323, Table A-10.

Benjamin Disraeli said there were "lies, damned lies, and statistics." Cherry-picking statistics to make a point isn't a good idea when that point can easily be (ahem) shot full of holes when the rest of the statistics are brought into play.

The chart posted in the OP omits other first world countries like the UK and Spain with fire arm related homicide rates of 0.1 and 0.2 respectively. Other European nations have similar rates. Truly enough, Switzerland is not listed; apparently most gun deaths in Switzerland are suicides. I also didn't see firearm related deaths for the third world countries in the list above though those countries were listed in another table for "all homicides." These statistics are from "WHO mortality database as of September 2001." I haven't found newer ones but now I'm all curious and stuff and will have to keep looking.

Before someone decides to jump on me as an hysterical anti-gun nut, I should add that I live in the state with the highest number of registered guns per capita (never mind the unregistered ones) and contribute to those numbers.

Since when did Wyoming require gun registration?

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[