Thread: Pine wood derby
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Double-D

huckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suckhuckinfog can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhawg View Post
I entered quite a few as a kid. I carved my cars with a pocket knife and sanded them smooth. I also found out what works: add weight! Not in the rear! I drilled holes in my cars, melted fishing weights and poured the hot lead in the holes. Lead is easy to work with, you can sand it smooth, and remove tiny amounts to meet the maximum weight allowed. You want this weight up front on the car. I tried it in the rear one year and it's definitely better up front. Seems to follow the stop better when it falls to start the race. Good luck, those things are a lot of fun!
I did the same thing with my boys, I bought an assortment of split shot sinkers and drilled holes in the bottom and sealed with wood glue before paint.

powdered graphite on the axle's prior to race.