View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Last Cigar Smoked: Drew Estates Kuba Kuba (Lovely!)
stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Smart maintenance is key, and quite honestly, how it was broken in has a tremendous amount to do with the longevity of ANY air cooled engine.
Good ring seal propagates long life, as it keeps combustion by-products to a minimum, allows the engine to work at peak efficiency, and keeps lubrication contamination to a minimum.
The only problematic issues I have seen with the 96" engines, are the aforementioned cam chain issue, and either keeping an eye on it, or converting to a gear drive cam setup, and you shouldn't have any major problems.
I beat the ever-lovin' snot out of the one in the 2009 FXD that we had, and it ate it up and wanted more. That motor ran VERY strong, and every time I changed the oil, it was still pretty clean (I changed every 3000 miles, and used Amzoil from George)

Good luck!

just a big ol' Doof.....
I MARRIED me a PIRATE!!!....
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM