View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 03:43 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Iron View Post
As for interaction, there really isn't any.
I have changed exhaust's, cams, and heads with it and it seems to adapt pretty quickly.
That's the core value of it, it would seem. Whenever I make changes and then AT again and again (and again), the tuner DOES make the big corrections pretty quickly and you can certainly tell empirically that it's honing in on a decent tune. My issue with it is that it gets to "acceptable tune" level and never gets all the way to 'decent' tune. It also appears that some of the corrected areas 'overshoot' their targets. When I AT, I take advantage of the local hilly countryside and I can cover virtually every cell. I've had a ton of practice at this. After many piggy-backed AT sessions it will be running pretty well with a couple of minor areas where there are transitions at low and mid rpm and throttle that it will have a bobble or bog here and there. I will look at the 3D tables on the PC and they look like boulder- and chasm-strewn moonscapes. Using the PC I will smooth them, removing what appear to be just *random* high and low spots and creating rolling hills and valleys instead of crags. When I load that back to the ECM, Voila! A decent tune and road manners. NOT a guru tune but decent. It seems far too much trouble for the result. Then, a change of parts, locale, weather or season and I need to AT again... more crags and smoothing required. Cruise range is good everywhere (NB) but the open loop can get messy. I'm leaning toward TT if only to make it less hands-on.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod