View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 09:59 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
In which all becomes clear...

So, I go out and loosen my idle cable. No difference. Then I start eliminating things. If I open the throttle to just before the point that the effort increases, then rotate the cam on the throttle body the rest of the way with my finger, no additional resistance. Observing the throttle sleeve at the point the resistance increases, instead of rotating, it moves laterally on the bar.
Crap.
So, just after I turn on the lights in the garage so I can see to disassemble the RH switch/throttle housing, et al, I check my e-mail one more time, to see if I've heard back from "He Who Must Not Be Named". Yup, there it is.
So I call him to see about tuning date possibilities, and ask about the throttle issue.
It seems that the Mother Ship instructs their minions in the dealerships to adjust the throttle cables so the throttle sleeve hits the internal stop instead of the cam hitting the stop on the throttle body. This prevents complaints from the RUBs about their throttle cables stretching and needing to be adjusted. The internal stop in the switch housing is hit by the end of the cam, bellcrank, whatever you want to call it, on the throttle sleeve, and if you actually hit it regularly (who, me?), the plastic throttle sleeve wears and allows it to override the stop. That is what was happening. Now, apart from never reaching WOT when adjusted like this (until you've worn it down), it can also stick the throttle wide open after it wears to the point where it's overriding it.
So, I tightened the cable a bit, and viola! (I know), it's right.
Every day just forces me to hate H-D a little more.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.