View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Tire, pulleys, isolator, bearings, pads look very good.
I removed the bearings and opened each one, all are perfect. Added grease, replaced seals.
I'm actually thinking that the vibe might be the tire. It looks about halfway gone at only 6500 miles.

The part that does not look good...

Is the belt.

The sprockets look great, but the belt is ugly. Every fourth tooth all the way around is damaged and about a third of those have chunks missing. I can't find any problem with the pulleys save for a single "chip" in the rear.
What would cause this? Rocks? Tension?
Wheelies?
The "every fourth" part is really weird.
Before ES I had actually bought the bonafide HD tension tool and adjusted per the book. Even though done perfectly, it seemed too damned tight to my thinking. I triple-checked the adjustment and left it like that. Then I proceeded to the crap out of it for a while. Today I rechecked it using the tool. It's a bit looser than spec now.
I've about decided that this damage is from being overly tight.

Feel free to discuss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.6 KB, 51 views)

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 07-17-2014 at 03:16 PM.