View Single Post
Old 04-06-2019, 08:23 PM
Airhead

Ken R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steakKen R probably grills a mean steak
I never posted a trip report.

One of the group that had planned to go and paid all the fees took ill the day before our departure date. He didn't make it. Left George, Mikey, and me.

The day to Trinidad was as usual. We got to the Holiday Inn at the normal 5:30 in the afternoon time after 10 hours across Texas and a tiny bit of New Mexico. Dinner at the Inn was welcome.

Next day, we rode to (and over) Independence Pass for lunch in Aspen. It's not a great place for motorcycling. Way too much traffic and parking is sparse, even though there is dedicated parking on almost every corner.
We left Aspen after lunch and rode to Vernal, Utah. This is one day we thought would never end. Out of the mountains, it was high-desert riding all afternoon until after 6PM. We were beat! But we had nice hotel reservations.

Next day was another long one. We rode to Three Island Campground where the old Oregon Trail crosses the Snake River. Lots of history there. It was our first night of tent camping. The campground was great. An adjacent winery served a fab dinner. I had a glass of local red wine, even though it was a 300 yard ride back to our tents.

Mikey started hearing what we thought was cam chain noise that night. We elected to ride on the next day to Boise to have it checked out at the dealership there.
That was a bad decision. If we'd called Road America that evening, the motor and Mike would have been towed to Boise and waiting for us. But the extra 90 miles put the hurt on the motor. Metal filings ruined everything. He needed a whole new motor. Road America and his extended warranty covered the costs; but it left him stranded in Boise, ID with our long-anticipated trip in jeopardy for him.

George and I rode on and left him there. The next day, he rented a motorcycle and rode solo 700 miles to meet us in Glacier National Park the following morning. We had a Red Bus tour planned for 9AM. Mikey got to the parking lot at 8:50.

From there, things got much better. We stayed 5 days in Glacier, the last three in Many Glacier area where we had a fantastic campsite looking up at sheer cliffs of big mountains. The Many Glacier lodge is only 2 miles away, we ate two great dinners there, overlooking the lake. This is the most beautiful place I've ever been, in my life. Surpasses every other national park in the USA, for sure. So much wildlife. So many mountains, snow, lakes, etc. Just fabulous.

One day, Mikey and I went horseback riding. George stayed behind and hiked. He stumbled onto a mother grizzly with three cubs. He didn't get eaten. But he backtracked a few dozen yards following Bear Aware protocol; to hide behind a tree and take some photos. George is a professional photographer. He went for his camera instead of his bear spray.

Gosh, we took boat rides, hiked, photographed elk,bighorn sheep, moose, etc. When it was time to leave, I wanted to cry. The chances of ever going back are slim to none. Glacier was on my bucket list. It did not disappoint.

Next night, we stayed at the Glacier KOA on the east side of the park. It's a great KOA. I loved their pancake breakfast.

Next day, the three of us headed home until Mikey had to detour to take the rental motor back to Boise. (another 700 solo miles for him). George and I headed on down to West Yellowstone for the night. Next morning, down through eastern Idaho in sight of Yellowstone and Tetons the whole way to Jackson and then on to Vernal, Utah. We stayed at the same hotel as on the way up, even though we had camping reservations at Dinosaur National Park campground on the Green River. We were tired and there were only 2 of us. Camping isn't the same as with a full crew to share the experience.

Next day was all day to Lakeside, Colorado where we had campsites reserved. So much talk about bears in the area made it scary to fall asleep in the tent.

Lakeside to Dumas, Texas, home of hot weather, wind, and poor gas mileage again. Dang it.

Here are some photos:

Or maybe not!

Sorry about the upside down and sideways pictures. I'm sure everyone can deal with them. They don't look wrong in the source; but came out wrong on the forum.

I think everyone will enjoy the pics so I'll post in a reply.

Last edited by Ken R; 04-06-2019 at 08:40 PM.