View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 08:14 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Back when I owned a semi tractor fitted with aluminum tanks and wheels, I'd use an aluminum cleaner before polishing. The cleaner would do an excellent job of removing oxidation and would leave a nice clean surface ready for polishing.

Understand, tho, that the cleaner is thinned acid. Care is recommended while using this stuff.

Nothing much will remove pits in the aluminum caused by excessive corrosion. The cleaner will remove the dark stuff in the pits, but the pits will remain.

I'd use a host of different polishes. All the stuff listed above works well, but requires either a machine polisher for pastes or elbow grease for the wadded stuff, like nevr-dull.

Some say you could put a coat of wax over the cleaned and polished aluminum when done. I never tried it. Flitz will make water bead on a polished part, but the beading effect will fade quickly.

Last edited by orbit; 10-24-2017 at 08:22 AM.