View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
2012 Ultra Classic

Uke's in Kenosha had free test rides today, plus a sale on most of their stuff, so me and mrs. o went up there for a visit today.

I spent $100, mrs. o a bit more. She got a nice fancy lightweight jacket, 20% off. Real sporty. P/N 98386-11VW.

I ended up takin' a new Ultra Classic for a demo ride.

I was curious as to engine vibrations, as compared to my '06, plus I wanted to see how the 103 compared to my slightly modified 88. Never rode a bike with a tour pak, lower fairings and some other doo dads, so I wanted to see how that all was.

Bike had a tick over 2K miles on 'er.

Riding position, for me at least, felt a bit cramped. I still have the cop seat on my bike, so I sit a little higher and a little farther back. The stock seat felt comfy, tho.

I decided I didn't like the lower fairings as they block too much wind and I whacked the side of the right one with me boot when going to cover the brake pedal.

I listened to the radio for a minute or two and decided that it wasn't for me. The clock is nice, tho.

The engine felt a lot smoother than my 88, especially around 2K rpm. Still has a slight buzz around 3K. My 88 feels a little peppier. The 103 felt a little numb. Maybe it's because of the stock exhaust. Both engines have the same mechanical tick in the top end.

The new transmission has a different whine to it, but I didn't find it offensive. Thought it was cool, actually. The clutch and shifting part of the deal were nice.

Tour pak had a little rattle/squeak in it. Sounded much like an unlatched saddlebag lid, but everything was latched correctly.

The 103 seems to pull overdrive well. We got up to 70 for a moment or two and the bike felt good at that speed.

In a lot of respects, the '12 felt a lot like my '06. I felt pretty comfortable, overall, on the '12.

That being said, a '12 ain't in the cards for me. I liked the bike, tho. A set of slip-ons would serve it nicely.