View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 02:16 PM
Confirmed Luddite

Last Cigar Smoked: Snack Pack Tapioca
Uesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I Finally Got Rid of the Butterflies

I finally swapped out the stock butterfly carb for a newer CV on the FXR. It took a number of getting/ordering additional parts but it's finally in and running great. I had to go to Detroit for work and rode 589 miles in two days. I'm getting 20 more miles per tank and it's pulling way stronger on the seat of the pants dyno.

I started with the carb, a new choke cable, CV-Performance idle mixture screw, replica '88 Sportster needle, and assorted jets.

Delay 1. My manifold is an S&S with the bolt up mount for the stock Keihin. Should have ordered the adapter sooner.

Delay 2. They sent the right adapter with the wrong dimensions. They screwed up the posting but sent me the right one immediately and it did fit.

Delay 3. The airbox backing plate is vastly different so I had to run up to Cycle Warehouse to dig through the attic for the right one. Luckily I found one for non-breather heads along with a new K&N clone filter for cheap. I also needed to cut out my cover to fit the notch in the top of the backing plate. I also had to cut back about an inch of the casing on the idle cable to make it fit.

Everything then bolted up perfect with the addition of a couple of spacers to account for the adapter and it started on the first crank! I adjusted the mixture and idle and then took it for the test ride. It ran like nobody's business. For a little while. Then it wouldn't idle and I had to nurse it home keeping the revs up.

Delay 4. There's supposed to be a spring, washer and O-ring holding tension on the idle mixture screw. If they were in there I didn't see them when I pulled out the stock screw and replaced it with the CV-P one. And now I had to order not only those but also another mixture screw since the CV-P one vibrated it's way out and made good its escape.

I put the remaining parts in place with a touch of loctite on the mixture screw for luck and now it's good to go.

I need to work more on the jetting. I had info showing a stock 42 pilot and 165 main so I put a 44 pilot in and 170 main to account for my cam and pipes. It runs great with those but then I though I'd do something novel and check my factory manual. 42 and 165 is stock for the California Reduced Effect model. The rest of the country is 45 and 185. That would explain the extra 20 miles per tank. It does still run stronger and the plugs are a nice tan. I have a 45 and a 180 I'm going to try next and I ordered a 46, 48, 185 and 190 to go to after that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carb.jpg (114.9 KB, 53 views)